We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Croatia - Why so expensive?

Which Rovinj hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cirencester
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Croatia - Why so expensive?

We're looking at Rovinj area for summer 2013. But i am amazed how expensive a reasonable villa is Over £1,000 for anything near a beach or town. Can anyone offer a reason why its so expensive... or a decent low cost place to holiday 2 adults & 3 grown up kids.

At this rate I'm taking the family back to Greece !!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,689 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Croatia - Why so expensive?

That is a very high price. We have found places for under $100 CDN but then we have not looked for places near the sea but inland. Plus we avoid Croatia inthe summer. Summer can be quite a bit more expensive, unfortunately. Supply and demand. I suggest you look further inland, especially if you are renting a car. Rovinj is generally more expensive than some places (more touristy but with good reason) so keep that in mind, too. It is gorgeous, though. Just to give you an idea of how wonderful Croatia is - my husband and I bought a lovely stone house in Istria several years ago because we loved it so very much.

Many I've talked to (and you can check on this forum, too) actually prefer Croatia to Greece. As I have not personally been to Greece I cannot offer a comparison.

I hope you are able to find something much cheaper soon. :) Would you consider going inland? If so, I have friends who own houses I can check with (in Istria).

Split
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Croatia - Why so expensive?

Like Chef said, it is a matter of supply and demand...and Croatia, being so popular - for obvious reasons - is getting more expensive and especially so in most popular areas

Warrington
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Croatia - Why so expensive?

We just booked a two bedroom apartment in the centre of the old town in Dubrovnik for under £500.i think that's fair deal!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,689 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Croatia - Why so expensive?

Our last stay in Dubrovnik we paid $100 Canadian for a one-bedroom apartment about one block from the town centre. But it was in September so shoulder season.

zagreb
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Croatia - Why so expensive?

You can try to look at some of the web pages below, maybe you will find something interesting and cheaper

adriagate.com/en/…villas-croatia.aspx

http://www.accommodationincroatia.net/rovinj/

www.istraturist.com/en…

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,731 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Croatia - Why so expensive?

Accommodation is likely to be expensive in the high season but food is generally cheaper and restaurants are very good value. I started coming to Croatia in 2006 having been to Greece every year for over 10 years - I've never been back to Greece since.

Bedford
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Croatia - Why so expensive?

I have found the same a small villa with pool for two is 1350 for 1 week, so by the time you've added flights and carhire you are talking about 2500! Have wanted to go for last 3 years but always go back to Greece for half this.

Bedford
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Croatia - Why so expensive?

Who do you book your accommodation through we want to explore istria, but villas for 2 are few and far between and cheapest we have found is 1350 in august.

Bedford
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Croatia - Why so expensive?

I would love to hear about any properties you may know of in istria. Few companies go there and a villa for 2 with a pool is 1350 in august, please help. Kindest regards barbara

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,689 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Croatia - Why so expensive?

I know you can find somewhere for less than that, especially without a pool. We've paid only $100 CDN per night and less but then avoid July and August.

Maybe we should seriously think about renting our house in Croatia out! ;)

Get answers to your questions about Rovinj
Recent Conversations