We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passports

Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Passports

Does anyone know how strict passport control is in Croatia, we are due back in UK on 24th September and our passports are due for renewal on 11th March 2014.

Would we be ok (as it is only a few weeks) or should we renew them before we go .

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passports

I always think its best to have your passport correct.

Just renew them, they add the remaining time onto your new passport in any case.

So your new passport will be valid for 10 years and 5 months.

Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passports

Thanks that what we though but just wondered, never been before so looking forward to our holiday.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passports

The passport is fine, you don't need 3 or 6 months beyond your departure date if that's what you were wondering about.

gov.uk advice specific to Croatia

"Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. No additional period of validity beyond this is required." from https:/…entry-requirements

if you apply now you might have a worry as to whether it will be back in time for you to travel, with summer being a busy time. Croatia will be in the EU by the time you travel (as of this coming Monday 1st July in fact) so it's no different from going to Spain, France etc.

Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passports

Thanks for that. Don,t really want to spend another £150 if there,s no need!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passports

i once flew to Spain (back home) from Birmingham with 2 weeks left on the passport and the woman at check-in commented on it. I told her I knew and was going to the consulate the next day with the application (the way it worked then; now we have to courier it to Belfast).

Not having a national identity card really complicates things for us Brits. If you had that you'd not even need a passport to get to Croatia in September. Of course having to have a passport means lots of money for the UK government (cp for Spaniards a passport costs 25.50€, you get it in your town, at the police station; an ID card is free!)

Edited: 29 June 2013, 08:49
Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passports

Thanks for your help, is it true that you need to carry your passport with you at all times in Croatia ?

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passports

Don't know where you hear these things as most hotels keep your passport until check-out so pretty difficult to carry it with you at all times!!

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,871 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passports

In my experience, no accommodation has ever kept my passport until checkout. So far, copies have been made or the information recorded and the passport returned to me. Foreigners must be able to produce ID such as passport to authorities at any time. Perhaps a photocopy is sufficient. I know in many countries such as Italy it is the law.

Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passports

Was on web link from Lynda, think I will just take photo copies with us just in case !

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passports

Just was on tour with a couple from canada this past week and most hotels kept the passports because the reporting still has to be made by the hotel to the local authorities mostly to collect the room tax. If a few groups are checking in this always happens that the hotel reception staff is overwhelmed and keeps the passports to do their reporting!

Get answers to your questions about Rovinj