We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euro or Kuna?

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Euro or Kuna?

We are travelling to Rovinj at the end of the month, but recently heard that Croatia has now joined the European Union (1st July) Can we still use Kuna or has Croatia gone over to the Euro yet?

I dont want to be buying the wrong currency !

Thanks

Karen

Mentioned in this post
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Old Town
Historic Walking Areas, Neighbourhoods
Port of Rovinj
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Main Street
Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
United States
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euro or Kuna?

they use Kuna and will for some time.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
8,877 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euro or Kuna?

The transition to the euro will likely be a slow one. Kuna is still the official currency. The easiest way is to use the plentiful ATMs. Have a great trip!

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Euro or Kuna?

Thanks for your help, this is a return visit. I was a little unsure but glad to hear the Kuna is still around at least for a little while.

Karen

United States
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Euro or Kuna?

we just returned and I asked at shops and the transition is not even being discussed at this point.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
101 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Euro or Kuna?

Apparently they are not going to change to the euro and are keeping their own currency.

Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
9,234 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Euro or Kuna?

Croatia is constantly rising turism prices. If they switch to euro nobody will go there.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
United States
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Euro or Kuna?

I would imagine they can keep the kuna for a certain "transition" period but can only assume they need to go to EUR at some point. If it were not required then Greece would certainly be on the drachma as it has not improved the tourism in that country. Of course there are many other reasons for the problems in Greece. Guess it will remain to be seen if this is a good thing for Croatia. Some must think so because they worked hard to gain entry.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Euro or Kuna?

Without getting too deeply into politics it can't be said that the euro has been an overwhelmingly positive thing for other Mediteranean countries. We cannot afford to holiday in them and one of the many myriad pluses of Croatia is that we can have a very good holiday there at sensible prices. I can only cling to a hope that they do not join, after all there are EU countries not on the euro.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
United States
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Euro or Kuna?

I was googling the issue and it does seem that some do not go on the Euro and that Croatia is not going to make any moves until such a time as the economy can support it which seems quite a long time off so I guess nothing in the near future. I was mistaken in thinking that was part of the deal but at some point from a business standpoint to engage fully in commerce with EU countries they will probably go with the EUR.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Wales
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Euro or Kuna?

Thank you all for your help and a great discussion. Rovinj will be just as wonderful in or out of the Euro, but I think I would pref Croatia to stay with the Kuna xx

Mentioned in this post
Rovinj
Rovinj
Istria, Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe