We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice

Windsor, England
Level Contributor
77 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice

We (a couple in our 40s) are coming to Croatia in June for 7 days. This will be our first visit to the country. We arrive in Dubrovnik at midday on the Saturday and fly from Split early the following Sunday.

I have already booked a hotel for 2 nights in Dubrovnik and we are planning to go on from there to Korcula, Hvar, Split/Trogir. What I need to know is:

1) Is this a reasonable itinerary - could I reasonably include another destination?

2) What is the optimum amount of time to spend in each place? It looks as though one of the places could have 3 nights instead of the 2 in the others.

3) I expect that times of the ferries from: Dubrovnik to Korcula, Korcula to Hvar, Hvar to Split may have some bearing on Question 2. Is there only 1 ferry a day? Does anyone know times of departure and arrival?

4) Would it be desirable or a hindrance to hire a car?

Any answers gratefully received.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,423 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice

I think you should pick either Hvar or Korcula, as that would give you 2 Dbv, 3 island, 2 Split/Trogir. In this case you might consider renting a car while on an island, but not for the entire trip.

Alternatively, if you like a fast pace or don't mind one night stays, you could drive from Dbv to Split.

Check ferry schedules at http://www.jadrolinija.hr/default.aspx?lang=2

From Dbv to Korcula you can take a bus (bus gets on ferry at end)--I thin one daily at 3pm. From Korcula to Split is no trouble, but you may have to go to the other end of the island to catch the ferry at Vela Luka.

From Hvar to Split no problem, but from Korcula to Hvar there may not be a ferry when yo need it. More catamarans run in summer, but not sure about June.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice

We did your exact itinery early last may in two weeks (we are in our 40's as well). We took a couple extra day trips from Dubrovnik that could easily be eliminated. To reduce time further, you may want to eliminate one of the islands or you could spend less time in some of the other destinations.

Our itinery was:

Dubrovnik – 5 days, 2 full days exploring Dubrovnik and close area, including some relaxation. Also did 2 full day trips – 1 to Kotor Bay in Montengro, 1 to Mostar in Bosnia-H.G. We used our last day to travel up the Peljesac Peninsula to get to Orebic where we caught a late afternoon ferry to Korcula. We hired a private driver so we could stop on our way up the Peninsula to enjoy the fresh seafood in Mali Sto and visit some wineries. (We really enjoyed the day trips from Dubrovnik but we could have also easily not done the day trips if our time was more limited and spent only 2 days in Dubrovnik)

Korcula Island – 2 days, after wine tasting up the peninsula, we were dropped in Orebic to catch the ferry to the island. 2 days seemed to be plenty for what we wanted to see. We found everything within walking distance but there was also public transportation if we had wanted to explore.

Hvar Island – 1 ½ days, took the early morning Katamaran from Korcula to Hvar. Again, this time frame was good for us. We spent all of our time in Hvar town but could have used local buses or rented a car to explore the island.

Split – 1 ½ day. Took an afternoon Katamaran from Hvar to Split. We walked through Diocletians Palace and other areas in and around Split. such as Bacivice Beach, during our time there.

Trogir – 3 days. Took the bus from Split to Trogir. Spent 2 days exploring Trogir and did one day trip through a tour company to Krka National Park to enjoy the waterfalls. The Park is beautiful! If not going to Krka, you could spend one full day in Trogir and enjoy it.

Re the hiring car. For this trip we did a combination of using public transportation or hiring a private driver when we needed. My husband, who typically does most of the driving loved it because he got to take in all of the breath taking sites and scenery and also enjoy a drink or two as we were travelling. Croatia has strict “no drinking and driving” laws

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions, let me know.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice

the ferry times go onto high season in June so there are more options (but the ferry from Dubronvik to Korcula is only July/August so you will need to use the bus/ferry. There is also a transfer service run by Korkyra from Dubrovnik).

Sat/Sun nights in Dubrovnik leaving mid Monday for Korcula; Mon/Tues nights Korcula; depart early on Wed and have Wed/Thur nights Hvar Town (I assume); depart early on Friday and have Fri/Sat nights Trogir or Split; I can't see your extra night? You will also need to enjoy travelling as there is quite a lot. You could get a car in Dubrovnik, drive up the Peljesac peninsula, get the boat over to Korcula Town then leave Korcula on the car ferry from Vela Luka to go to Split missing out Hvar if you chose.

See Krilo jet: http://www.krilo.hr/en/sailing_schedule.html Jadrolinija: www.jadrolinija.hr/default.aspx?dpid=1488 (end May only currently).

Edited: 07 February 2013, 14:20
London,Ontario
Level Contributor
39 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice

Could you tell me about renting a car in, driving in and parking in Croatia? I'm a good (Canadian) driver but concerned about driving in an unfamiliar country with a different language.

Do you know how the price of that would compare to hiring a private driver?

Durham
Level Contributor
4,821 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice

Car hire is a lot cheaper than hiring a private driver although if you drive yourself you miss out on some of the scenery. Parking can be difficult in some places like Dubrovnik and the more touristy the area the more likely you are to have to pay for parking. Language should not be a problem. The road signs will be similar to Canada.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice

When we were in each of our destinations (Dubrovnik, Korcula, Hvar, Split and Trogir), we found we could walk or take a local bus or water taxi to everywhere we wanted to go. We travelled to the islands and to Split by Katamaran and we were able to walk to our accomodations from the ports, even with our luggage.

If you are considering renting a car, you might be better to just rent one on the day you need it in your specific location, depending where you are travelling to. We only used the private drivers for our day trips – Kotor, Montegro; Mostar, Bosnia ;up the Peninsula and to Krka Park. We could have done larger group tours to these areas as well but we were willing to pay a little more for a private service. Our trips were between 100 and 150 euros, for the most part per vehicle (up to 3 or 4 passengers).

As for language, I don’t think you’d have any issues with road signs etc. Being from the flat prairies, we thought the winding mountain roads would be more of a challenge, but still not too bad – lol.

London,Ontario
Level Contributor
39 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary advice

Most helpful and encouraging, DebinthePeg. When were you there? Did you pretty much wing it there, or book hotels, private drivers etc beforehand? Any particular recommendations for the former? Also, how much time would you recommend in each of the locales you hit?

My Kiwi friend and I will be there late May-early June. We're both north of 1/2 century, but don't mind a bit of shlepping.

I'm assuming one can arrange a trip to Montenegro easily enough out of Dubrovnik?

Thanks for whatever you share.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary advice

We went at the beginning of May last year. Given that it wasn’t high tourist season, we didn’t book much with regards to accomodations and trips ahead time. We landed in Dubrovnik, so we did book our accomodations there and I did some research on possible apartments in other areas before we left. English was quite widely spoken so that also helped when we were making our bookings. We lucked out, as all or our accomodations were only 5 – 15 minutes from ports or bus stops we arrived at and all about the same to walk into the main areas of interest.

Yes – there were all kinds of companies that offer day tours from Dubrovnik including Montengro. In Dubrovnik, there is also a good local bus system and water taxies that you can take to areas outside the Old Town – Lokrum Island, Cavtat, Gruz Harbour, etc. There are also numerous day trips via boat available in the Old Harbour. In Dubrovnik – we used Cheap Dubrovnik Tours for our private trips. Google them for their website. IYou'll also see a number of recommendations for them here on TA.

In Dubrovnik – if you don’t do any full day trips to Montengro, Bosnia or other, 2 days would be enough to explore the old town and the surrounding area.

We spent two full days in Korcula. We stayed in Korcula Town and didn’t explore other parts of the island. This was plenty of time. We spent the same time in Hvar.

We spent a day and a half in Split itself. Toured Diocletian’s Palace and the Riva area and also walked to Bacvice Beach.

We spent 3 days in Trogir. We spent two days exploring Trogir and did a day on a trip to Krka National Park, which I’d highly recommend.

We could have easily spent more time in any of these areas doing day trips to other close destinations if we had wanted. We could have also picked less destinations in Dalmatia and headed further north or inland to Zagreb and Slovenia. The options are numerous. I don’t think there’s a bad itinerary, unless it’s one where you just rush from place to place without stopping to enjoy them (just my opinion). We’re a little south your age and we enjoyed our shlepping around!

If you have any more questions, let me know. I’ll be happy to help if I can.

Edited: 07 February 2013, 22:16
Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
6,018 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary advice

the roads and road signs are easy - it is the Latin alphabet. Whether to book accommodation is a personal choice and at your dates of travel not essential - but if you know where you are going to be then why not save the time now and book, rather than wasting valuable holiday time when you get somewhere?

Windsor, England
Level Contributor
77 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary advice

Hi, our trip is fast approaching and your itinerary advice is really useful. Can you recommend the company you used for your driver and, if so, please could you give me their details. Did you use a driver to get from Dubrovnik to the ferry for Korcula? Can you remember the price? Also, how did you arrange the wine tasting in Orebic - was it easy timewise to do that and catch the ferry? Would you recommend it?

Thanks in anticipation

Get answers to your questions about Trogir
Recent Conversations