We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Otavalo.and nearby towns

Wilmington,De
Level Contributor
265 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Otavalo.and nearby towns

Someone recently suggested we use Otavalo as a base and visit other nearby towns to see and shop at other markets..Any info about that or other markets we should visit in Ecador.We have a gallery and want to bring home some local crafts and jewelry.

Madison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Otavalo.and nearby towns

Otovalo is a great place to visit the many craft towns in Ecuador. For your gallery consider the Saturday Otovalo craft market. Bargain to get incredible prices on art, jewelry, wood work, alpacka (which are actually not actually from Ecuador), woven items, etc. Only a short cab ride away is the Cotocachi leather market. There is also a town that specializes in wood work close to Otovalo. I was just in Otovalo the weekend of February 17-20 and LOVED it. I stayed at Las Palmeras Inn. I HIGHLY recommend the Inn. Inexpensive yet it feels exclusive, comfortable, and relaxing with the fireplace in each room. I recommend using Las Palmeras as home base as you shop for your gallery. I used it has home for my long weekend while I shopped and relaxed. Ecuador is a beautiful country.

Wilmington,De
Level Contributor
265 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Otavalo.and nearby towns

thanks for the info..we hope to be there the last 2 weeks of June and your info is very helpful.

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Otavalo.and nearby towns

Good idea. I have been to Otavalo probably a dozen times, love it and the nearby towns. Zuleta and Olmeda are famous for their embroidery. I haven't been to Olmeda, but the quality of embroidery in Zuleta is far superior to what you find in the Otavalo market. I would actually recommend visiting the Otavalo market on a day other than Satuday (which is market day) - the core artisanal market is there every day, and you can bargain for better prices. In peguche, just at the main square, you can find two shops specializing in woven tapestries. You might pay a bit more than in the Otavalo market (same as Zuleta), but again the quality is superior, and you will find a greater selection of designs. In particular, the shop of Jose Cotacachi, is much more expensive, because he is a well-known craftsman, but you will find unique pieces. His shop is not always open, definitely don't go at lunchtime, and if you can't find him, ask around - they went and found him for us and opened up the shop/workshop. The wood-carving town is San Antonion de Ibarra - not to my taste, but easy enough to visit and see if you can find something good. Cotacachi is definitely famous as the leather town and I have bought plenty there, but if you happen to be traveling to/through Ambato, there is a nearby town called Quizapincha that is also a leather town, and b/c it's off the main track has even cheaper prices, and I thought a wider selection of styles. I've bought silver jewelry in Otavalo, but found nice gold (colored, not real gold) jewelry along Av. Amazonas in Quito, with ethnic styles. And lastly, if you are considering pottery (although that doesn't travel well), there is a brand called Artesa that has really nice designs, you can find it in Quito.

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Otavalo.and nearby towns

One last thing! I haven't stayed at Las Palmeras, but I've visited it, and it is definitely a good place to stay - thinking about staying there next visit. If you want to splurge, its sister hotel, Hacienda Cusin, is amazing, as is Hacienda Pinsaqui.

Get answers to your questions about Otavalo