We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daughter off to Ecuador, worried parent.

Which Otavalo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
536 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Daughter off to Ecuador, worried parent.

My daughter is off on a 12 day field trip with a dozen members of her geology class at college some of the trip will be spent camping,as a parent i worry about bandidos etc. Will she be going through any rough areas? any tips to give her ?

Heres her itinerary

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer…

Edited: 13 February 2014, 09:23
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,871 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daughter off to Ecuador, worried parent.

Do you really think a college is going to send students--presumably with adult professors and support staff--someplace unsafe? Presumably they've done this trip before and survived to tell about it. I think I'd be more worried if she were camping in Canada--all those bears, y' know.

Edited: 13 February 2014, 11:51
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
536 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daughter off to Ecuador, worried parent.

Theres only one teacher going and he assures us that armed guards will be patrolling the camp sites they'll be staying at so i guess theres nothing to worry about..

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daughter off to Ecuador, worried parent.

Ecuador is generally a safe country. The most dangerous places are rather in and aorund cities like Guayaquil, not camping in rural areas.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 16:18
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
536 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daughter off to Ecuador, worried parent.

thanks

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
59 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daughter off to Ecuador, worried parent.

I'm currently in Ecuador with no doubt my worried mother back home! I can tell you now that generally it is a friendly and vibrant country, the only thing I'd tell her to watch out for is petty crime ie pickpockets in the big cities. Places like Banos are small tourist towns and really very safe from my experience. Having said that, in a big school group I don't thing that they will be as much of a target, just make sure she stays in the group (obviously). She will have a fab time try not to worry too much :)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
536 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daughter off to Ecuador, worried parent.

I think worrying is a parents lot in life when it comes to their kids,, my Mom who is 90 still worries about me and i'm in my mid 60s LOL..

Thanks..

7. Re: Daughter off to Ecuador, worried parent.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 07:20