We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with Otavalo Day Trip logistics

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need help with Otavalo Day Trip logistics

I'm taking a trip to Quito/Galapagos this Saturday. Someone in my travel group was trying to organize a day trip for next Saturday (8/26) to Otavalo, but there just wasn't enough interest within the group so the plans fell through.

I am still interested in going, and was wondering if anyone could help me figure out the costs, transportation, how long it takes to get there, and recommend some things to do in Otavalo (other than shopping). I'd also love to hear about the best things to buy in the market and approximately how much they should cost. I only have one day, so I only have time to hit the highlights.

Thanks for your help!

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with Otavalo Day Trip logistics

Otovalo is a very beautiful area and certainly worth a visit. The market is fascinating. Not only for the things that they sell but the Otovalan people as well. The area also has a waterfall and a beautifull lake. The hard part is to make this a day trip. Once you get there you will want more time there! It is about 2 hours from Quito. You really don't want to travel this road at night. It is comparable to high mountain driving here in the states. We hired a van to take us there and pick us up. We stayed the weekend. There was 7 of us and they charged us $100 per trip. You can take a bus, which is very economical. Should be just a few dollars. But it would take alot longer.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with Otavalo Day Trip logistics

Thanks for the advice. How did you go about arranging the van? I probably will not be able to do anything until I get down there on Saturday....

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
600 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with Otavalo Day Trip logistics

Our hotel had arranged for the airport pickup when we arrived. The driver gave me his card and told me to call him when ever we were in the area that he would take care of us. We used him on several occasiones and he was great. He was always earlier than we had arranged. I will try and look for his card. If I don't find it, your hotel in Quito can arrange this for you. You save a little bit if you arrange it yourself.

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
456 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with Otavalo Day Trip logistics

$2 for a shawl. You can bargain down to $12 for an alpaca blanket. Wall hanging weavings vary greatly in price - $10-$50. Alpaca sweaters (kids and adults) $6-$7.

You may want to go to the Peguche waterfall, which is a very short drive away and nice. Then if you like the wall hangings, wait until you get to Peguche, which specializes in this. I like the shop right off the main plaza, and they even have price tags and fixed prices, which can be nice.

Go somewhere outside of Otavalo for lunch. Closest is Casa Mojanda, has an excellent vegetarian lunch (I'm saying this as a fervent meat eater - it's very satisfying) and you get to see a bit of countryside. Call first to let them know you're coming. Other favorites of mine are Hacienda Cusin - about 15-20 minutes south, and Hacienda Pinsaqui, maybe 10-15 minutes north. Very neat to see the haciendas in my opinion.

5. Re: Need help with Otavalo Day Trip logistics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 12:21