We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siwa - transport and safari

Montreal
3 posts
Save Topic
Siwa - transport and safari

Has anyone gone to Siwa?

We've a tight schedule and I'd love to pass 3 days in the Siwa Oasis. But transport seems to be a bit of an annoyance.

I was told there were night trains from Cairo to Masra Matruh and then a 4 hour bus ride.

- How easy is it to find the Bus from Matruh to Siwa

- From Alexandria to Siwa?

and what about the trip back to Alexandria/Cairo? Can anyone give me tips?

--> If anyone's done a night out in the desert from Siwa to sleep under the stars, can I get a price range.. I need to work on my budget :P

Greatly appreciated. God bless you

Mark

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Siwa - transport and safari

Siwa is an exceptionally beautiful place. Buses in Matrouh will be available in the main bus station there. The sleeping train from Cairo to Marsa Matrouh runs only during the summer months and there are flights also from Cairo in the summer. You may check flights on www.egyptair.com.eg

I am not sure about the schedule of buses, but there should be a few everyday.

Getting back, if there were no buses from Siwa to Alex direct, take a bus to Matrouh and from there, there are frequent buses everyday to Alex and at least two dailies direct to Cairo.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siwa - transport and safari

I'm Living on and off in Matrouh at the moment and wouldn't recomend the train as it doesn't look fun at all even the local guys have advised never to take it.

There are plenty of buses to cario and alex although i'v never taken them. I'm sure there would also be buses to siwa as well.

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siwa - transport and safari

Bus tickets Siwa to Alex can be bought in Siwa, but the busses do stop in Marsa. I thought the train looked good, but locals in Marsa advise against it. Marsa-Cairo via Desert road, take those gazelle buses, as the regular East Delta ones are uncomfortable. Safaris are relatively cheap, email the tourist guide to get prices mahdi is the bomb!! mahdi_hweiti@yahoo.com

4. Re: Siwa - transport and safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2011, 12:25
5. Re: Siwa - transport and safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Siwa