We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight bus from Cairo to Siwa?

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Topic
Overnight bus from Cairo to Siwa?

Hi -

I'll be traveling from Cairo to Siwa in mid-November and would like to take the overnight bus. However, I can't seem to find a current schedule for it and wondered if anyone can point me to a website with current information about days it runs, times, cost, etc. I'm hoping to take the overnight bus on either the 18th or 19th of November.

Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,843 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight bus from Cairo to Siwa?

I assume that you mean the Cairo>Alexandria>Mersa Matruh>Siwa route? Although there is a hard-surfaced road all the way I am almost certain that there are no buses running on the Mersa Matruh>Siwa section after dark. If you saw the road crossing that section of desert and the way Egyptians drive in daylight, you would understand why.

The journey would be feasible using public transport - possibly overnighting at Mersa Matruh.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight bus from Cairo to Siwa?

There is no need to go via Alexandria. There is a bypass that lets you go from Cairo to Mersa Matrouh and save your self a good bit of travelling time. Most of the West Delta buses do this trip in the early hours of the night, often leaving at midnight or later. I'm not sure which of the buses carry on to Siwa, but thought there was one early in the morning, maybe around 8 am? I'm not able to help you out with specific times, as the only online bus schedule seems to omit Siwa. It does show the Cairo - MM portion though, so may help you at least a little bit:

bus.com.eg/EBus/…Index.aspx

There is someone in the Siwa forum that used to answer a lot of questions regarding Siwa, and may have more current info. Try sending a PM to gwenmalak she hasn't been on the forum in a while, but maybe a PM would reach her and tempt her back to answer your questions.

belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight bus from Cairo to Siwa?

They do do the journey Alexandria - Marsa Matrouh- Siwa overnight.

We did it in July 2008 and the bus leaves Alexandria at 10 o' clock at night arriving in Siwa around 6 O' clock in the morning.

Ask your hotel in this time to send somebody to collect you because when we arrived there were no taxis around at all. They dropped us off literally 'in the middle of nowhere'.

4. Re: Overnight bus from Cairo to Siwa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2011, 12:25
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight bus from Cairo to Siwa?

Hi.

We will drive from Alexandria to Siwa on Friday. Do you think we will have any kind of problem to find open gas stations in Mersa Matruh on this Prayer Day?

Thanks

P.

6. Re: Overnight bus from Cairo to Siwa?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,076 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight bus from Cairo to Siwa?

Gwenmalak, could you tell me what time the buses leave for Siwa from Turgoman during the day? How long will the trip take?

8. Re: Overnight bus from Cairo to Siwa?

Cairo
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight bus from Cairo to Siwa?

Greetings gwenmalak, I have some follow-ups:

Any more specific info about how to find the bus at Turgoman station? When was the last time you took the bus--you're sure it leaves every day?

By 'regular bus' do you mean a city bus no air; not a private company? If it is a private company what's it called? How much does it cost?

Is there a similar set-up for the return trip from Siwa-Cairo, and where does one pick it up/when does it leave Siwa?

Finally, have you had any experiences renting a minibus and do you have contact info/rates or anything? Thanks aton!

10. Re: Overnight bus from Cairo to Siwa?