We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking water

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Drinking water

We are coming to bora bora, papette and moorea and wondering if we have to buy bottled water? Can we drink water from tap? We live in the us and don’t want to get sick.

8 replies to this topic
Temecula, California
Level Contributor
374 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Drinking water

I was petrified of this last year. In Moorea we stayed at the Hilton and we drank bottled water, but did use faucet water to brush teeth. Got less rigid as the trip went on and Ended up drinking the water they offer for free by the pool at the Thalasso in Bora Bora and brushing my teeth with the faucet water and I was completely fine.

Wollongong Sydney...
Level Contributor
82 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Drinking water

Get recommendations from every hotel when you check in to, as to the situation in their area. We had to buy bottled water all the time on Moorea and it was provided free in our resort on Bora Bora, it just depends. On Moorea signs on the taps clearly said not to drink it, but no such indications on the resort in Bora Bora. If you need to buy, don't stress, there are supermarkets all over the place on the main islands... And it's not as horrifically expensive as you might think.

Edited: 20 October 2017, 09:20
California
Level Contributor
943 posts
355 reviews
3. Re: Drinking water

Oh. Interesting. I stayed at pensions, mainly, and a few hotels, not only in Moorea but also Tahiti and Huahine, but all said it was fine to drink the water, so I did. I always get food poisoning at the slightest touch of something, but nope, nothing. I filled my plastic water bottle up with this and drank from it every day, all day long.

I stayed on an atoll on Bora Bora where it was also okay, if I remember, although that was a while ago now.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Drinking water

Thank you! I read some places it’s fine and others not and I definitely don’t want to get sick. I so appreciate all the comments!!!! Thank you so much

San Diego...
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
5. Re: Drinking water

I think they try to get an extra 550 cpf for a bottle of o'l Tahiti water at the resorts...

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
660 posts
100 reviews
6. Re: Drinking water

We don't take any chances on our journeys, not just in FP, but anywhere outside of the US. We almost always drink bottled or purified water. Its not worth ruining the trip over something so petty.

Yellowknife, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Drinking water

Like the other posters mentioned, ask at your accommodations. We stayed in many places where they drank the water from the tap, so we did. We also stayed in many other places where they advised us not to drink it, so we didn't. In places where there was some question, then we stuck to bottle water to be safe. If they said it was safe to drink we also used it for teeth brushing. If we were told not to drink it, then I didn't use it for brushing. We've never had stomach issues while traveling there. I tend to get a small cold each time, perhaps from the huge temp adjustment and spending too much time snorkeling (can dry the throat). But it's usually manageable. Have fun!!

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
8. Re: Drinking water

We stayed at the Hilton in Moorea in Feb 2017 and drank the tap water. We were fine and are looking forward to visiting again this month.

Reply to: Drinking water
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Maharepa
Recent Conversations