We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Retiro or El Recreo?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
El Retiro or El Recreo?

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I will visit Guatemala in the end of the month. We are visiting Semuc Champey for 2 nights, and are looking for a nice hotel. I saw these two (El Retiro and El Recreo), and wanted to ask if anyone has a recommendation on which of those is the better one in term of quality, atmosphere (we're not that old but prefer quite over party all night :-) and location?

Thanks!

2 replies to this topic
Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Retiro or El Recreo?

I suggest you post your question on the Lonely planet forum also. Good luck.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Retiro or El Recreo?

I absolutely suggest booking at El Portal. I did so after four weeks of meeting one traveller after another who said "it's the only place to stay at Semuc Champey."

"Splurge" ($20/night) for a bungalow behind the restaurant and overlooking the river.

El Portal is right outside the gates to Semuc Champey. The road in from Languin is a long, bumpy and dusty one, so being central to the actual park will get you into this incredible spot early in the morning before the tour groups arrive.

They don't answer email, so I suggest calling ahead to book your bungalow.

Reply to: El Retiro or El Recreo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted