We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing From Tikal to GC via Semuc Champey

Sydney
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sightseeing From Tikal to GC via Semuc Champey

My wife and I are 60. We are trying to decide whether to return from Tikal to GC overland using a private car (staying overnight near Semuc Champey) or by air. Can anyone tell me whether the road trip is a pleasant one and whether there is much to see and do along the way?

4 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,860 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing From Tikal to GC via Semuc Champey

Since it's pretty much a full day to Semuc Champey and then pretty much a full day from there to Guatemala City or Antigua, you'd want to spend at least 2 or 3 nights to make it worth it. If you're just wanting to drive and break up the trip, I'd use the highway through Rio Dulce; that way you'd at least have a few evening and morning hours to enjoy the scenery.

Port Richey, Florida
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing From Tikal to GC via Semuc Champey

I agree with Stacey you'll be better off if you take the road via the town of RioDulce/Fronteras and have a good time exploring the area. They've been building a new paved road (Franja Transversal del Norte) which goes west from Modesto Mendes. The way I see it you could take that road to connect with the road to Lanquin to get to SC. On the other hand from Flores you could take the road via Sayaxche, cross the La Pasion river on a ferry. From Sayaxche you could hire a boat and explore archeological sites along the river in the jungle. And then down the road road connect with the road to Lanquin to SC. Now, keep in mind, the last stretch of road from Lanquin to SC is gravel, but passable all year around, which means a car with tall tires is recommended.

Sydney
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing From Tikal to GC via Semuc Champey

Thank you.

Sydney
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sightseeing From Tikal to GC via Semuc Champey

Thank you. The trouble you have gone to with detail is appreciated.

Reply to: Sightseeing From Tikal to GC via Semuc Champey
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted