We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me about your stay at Tranquilseas on Sandy bay

Which Sandy Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
528 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Tell me about your stay at Tranquilseas on Sandy bay

We are strongly considering this location. We don't want to be around a lot of people. We have a child with us and want to be able to swim from the beach to the reef.

This seems like a good fit for our family but wonder what it is really like.

Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell me about your stay at Tranquilseas on Sandy bay

Just a reminder that the reef is not as close in Sandy Bay as it is in West Bay....guess that would be a factor depending on the age of your child. We have not stayed there but have eaten there and have been very unimpressed with the food. Is a very cool looking place tho...reminds me of a treehouse.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
528 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell me about your stay at Tranquilseas on Sandy bay

how far out is the reef?

OK
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell me about your stay at Tranquilseas on Sandy bay

We did not stay at Tranquil Seas either so I can't comment on the accomodations or the food. (They were only open for public dining on Tuesdays when we were there and we missed it.) We spent the week of 5/22 - 5/28 in Sandy Bay and there were not many people around the area.

I'm not good at judging distances, so I can't tell you how far out the reef is. It is swimmable for adults. I'm not sure if it would work for your child or not. It would depend on the age of the child and how strong of a swimmer he/she is.

West Bay is the best choice for the reef being close to shore - but there are more people. We always went there early in the morning and it wasn't too crowded. It's not a bad drive over to West Bay from Sandy Bay if you have your own transportation.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
528 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tell me about your stay at Tranquilseas on Sandy bay

I am starting to think we will have to drive to West end in the morning and then back to where ever we stay for the afternoon and evening. We really don't like a lot of people around at all. I wanted to be someplace that our son could swim with a PFD, and follow us out to the reef. Yet, again not many people.

I am thinking the only way to have both of what we want is to travel by car to west end, then just find a place we want to stay at and not worry about how far the reef is.

I know every asks the same question over and over again. Where should we stay and I am really researching all options.

Lucky for us we our travel will be April of 2012. Perhaps something will pop up between now and then.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tell me about your stay at Tranquilseas on Sandy bay

We stayed at Tranquilseas last February. The reef is out pretty far, at least a football field. But , the water is very calm, and it is an easy swim. However, the bottom of the ocean between the shore and the reef is primarily sea grass. Therefore, you must enter and exit the water from the boat dock and not along the shore. (learned this the hard way). This not a good beach for swimming or playing/jumping in waves. There are no waves.

The food at Tranquilseas is fabulous. If you really desire isolation, this would be the perfect place for you. It will cost you $5.00 to West End one way by cab and another $5.00 to West Bay by Water Taxi. Personally, I think a child would be bored silly here.

Some other places that might meet your needs are Cocolobo and Lands End Resorts in West End. They are away from the main area, and would give you the privacy that you desire.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tell me about your stay at Tranquilseas on Sandy bay

hello everyone, I do apologize for neglecting these forums. we have a house reef that we use for kids camps etc, its 30 seconds from the dock!!! 3 feet deep and loaded with marine life..super for kids.

turtle grass is completely under rated, there you can find octopus, rays, clown crabs, corals, anemones and more!! The turtle grass is in fact mother natures nursery ground, but if you are looking for something to blow your mind instantly and with only 5 minutes then you should be looking at south red sea or Wakatobi in south pacific.

the reef in front of west bay is great but but with the overwhelming presence of cruise shippers the reef is far more enjoyable in sandy bay. The water taxi guys actually will sell you a half day tour from west bay and bring to the lagoon right in front of Tranquilseas!! if anyone has a question please feel free to ask. tranquilroatan@yahoo.com.

many thanks and have a great time everywhere on Roatan: SUERTE!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tell me about your stay at Tranquilseas on Sandy bay

I'm confused... nosneb69... when you say "we have a house reef..." does that mean you are representing Tranquilseas? It appears you dragged up an 8-month old post to advertise as a good place for children? Had you written this reply 8 months ago, it might be seen as helpful to the OP... but now it appears more like self-promotion, which is prohibited. Unless, of course, the we you refer to is not Tranquilseas...

8. Re: Tell me about your stay at Tranquilseas on Sandy bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Sandy Bay