We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in West End

Which West End hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Crime in West End

We are researching a trip to Roatan and are looking for guidance. Is West End seedy or unsafe in any way? We were speaking with friends who stayed at West Bay last year and they told us to avoid West End; however, we are the type of people who like to walk and eat at small local hole-in-the-wall type restaurants and look at local shops and scenery. The people we talked to said that West End is safe during the day, but avoid it at night.

We are looking at either West Bay or West End--- suggestions? (I will post this on the West Bay forum too).

Thank you.

london
Level Contributor
237 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime in West End

Both are brilliant. And totaly diferent in everyway. Me i love the West end. Walking around resturants bars and great places to stay and meet people.

This Island is safe, the people need you right now and will be offering you great deals and being extra nice!! You can thank the bad media for that.

Go, enjoy and you will have a great time of it all.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime in West End

We stayed at Luna Beach and walked to the west end every night for dinner. One night we even walked to a great restaurant out past the butterfly farm. We had no problems. We did not stay out too late (around 11:00) or have too much to drink though. Mostly due to the fact that the island was pretty dead and I was getting my diving certification. However, I did have a nice celebration at the barefoot bar Sunday night BBQ after I passed my certification.

I was a little worried about some of things I read about walking home from dinner at night, but there were no problems.

I would def. sugggest West End and Luna Beach is great - quiet yet withing walking distance to town and all the restaurants and shops. West Bay you won't have as many options or you will need to take a taxi (water or regular). You also can't really do the walk (about an 1 hour) at night from West Bay to West end because there are some rocky spots right past Luna Beach and could be a little tricky at night.

Don't forget a flashlight you will need it. When high tide is in there are little ponds and one night we saw a little vine snake (harmless) eating the small fish that collect in these little ponds. There are also lots of crabs that scurry out of your way and some logs and stick that wash-up. Nothing too bad though. We only used the flashlight if it was very dark of it looked like something was coming up.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
4,942 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime in West End

I'm not an expert, but I have never heard any suggestion of crime in WE. And now there is a large "Tourist Police" presence in the building that used to house my favorite Indian restaurant in all Honduras. When I first noted it on my last trip, I had to wonder what it was for. Was it meant to protect tourists? From what? or was it meant to keep the tourists in line? LOL

The restaurants and bars along WE are not exactly hole in the wall. Most are decent size, modestly priced, offering excellent food. I've never had a bad meal in WE.

The road along WE is well lit, as long as the power is on, with lots of people out strolling. I don't know what there is to avoid, but I guess one must still be cautious. And carry a flashlight.

An added bonus this last visit...the ATM's actually worked. I like the ATM outside the ice cream store, so I always have cash for dessert.

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime in West End

There can be crime anywhere,

For the most part I find Roatan quite safe as long as you use some common sense. If you party too much and lose some sense while you have been dipping into your pocket pulling out cash to buy drinks with the hand using the shiny watch and buying drinls for the lady next to you in a bunch of shiny gold then your looking for trouble in most tourist destinations. Face it, No matter what you may think, by most Honduran standards, any gringo visiting is a wealthy gringo.

I don't think West End is any more of a problem than west Bay other than there may be more people partying not paying attention.

Most crime is simply a crime of opportunity. I hear of unattended cameras, laptops and misplaced wallets going away more than anything else.

Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
365 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime in West End

I agree with the other posters, and Bluehouseguy put it really well!

One thing I would throw in is that for my own comfort (I am admittedly slightly paranoid as a general state of being), I like to have a hotel with a safe in the room so that we can leave our passports, credit cards, electronic equipment, and the bulk of our cash in a secure location. Whether traveling in Honduras, Europe or the States...or just going out in my hometown, I prefer not to take anything on my person that I wouldn't mind losing if I'm out for a night of carousing. I do usually carry my drivers license and/or a photocopy of my passport just for ID purposes though.

Hubby and I love West End. We've visited West Bay and found it lovely, but somewhat homogenous/sterile comparatively speaking. We love the vitality and variety in West End even if it is a bit less refined.

Enjoy!

ee

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime in West End

Safe in the room?

I am not fond of them, I guess it comes from ocean travel and having decoy's set up. When we were sailing we always had an old defunct laptop and useless celll phones "just in case" and if they got stolen then so be it.

If someone knows about a safe where valuables are kept then they may be protected but be realistic, if a person is met by an intruder, as unlikely as it is in many places, then that intruder will force them to open the safe.

This may be overkill but i hate to put everything in a nice tight box that could be taken with a pry bar and opened later at will. I do not use a room safe in Miami, Orlando, Atlanta or any other busy area i visit.

Dover, Ohio
Level Contributor
365 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime in West End

Point taken, Bluehouseguy...but, as you have pointed out, most crimes on Roatan are crimes of convenience. I think that it would be a lot easier to pick my pocket while I'm sitting at a bar or to lift my purse or backpack while I'm swimming in the sea than it would be to steal, and then find a way to open, a safe. When I'm out for the day or for an evening's entertainment, I don't want to be constantly watching out for my belongings. I stick enough cash in my pocket to get me by for the night and leave the rest in the safe. I can't imagine a safer place to leave things in our room. Surely the average thief has figured out all the "clever" spots to stash the valuables in an average hotel room.

By the way, another of my rules about travel in Honduras is don't take anything that you'd be heartbroken to come home without. Having a passport stolen would put a serious damper on things, and it would really suck to have our money and/or credit cards stolen, but all those things are trivial in the big picture...Great Grandma's diamond ring, for example, stays home!

ee

Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime in West End

Yep, you are correct in that "Surely the average thief has figured out all the "clever" spots to stash the valuables in an average hotel room."

and that place is more often than not, worldwide, the room safe. This has little to do with Roatan, do you look to see how well secured those things usually are?

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,648 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime in West End

a trick we use just to be safe if our passport is lost or stolen....we have photocopies at home and also lv copies w/ a relative who can get the info to us should we need it for replacement purposes. We felt very safe in all areas of Roatan we visited, even remote areas like Camp Bay.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime in West End

Thanks everyone for the valuable information. I suspected the information we were given about West End was not completely accurate, or even accurate at all.

Any suggestions on West End hotels, in addition to what was already mentioned?

Get answers to your questions about West End
Recent Conversations