We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATMs in West End

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
885 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
ATMs in West End

Just a couple of questions based on experience elsewhere in the Caribbean where ATM's exist, sort of....

How reliable are the ATMs in Roatan, and by that I simply mean functioning.

Secondly, has anyone had recent experience with the ATMs and the exchange rate that you find when you get back to your Canadian bank? Did you wish that you had taken more American $'s with you or were you satisfied with the ATM option?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,674 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ATMs in West End

atm exchange rates are set international - not at the local atm

West Bay was very good for cash at ATMs, west end not in JUNE 09

Kootenays
Level Contributor
435 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATMs in West End

In March 09, the West End ATMs were consistently available.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,408 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATMs in West End

I'm aware of 2 ATM's in West End, and last May they were both functioning off and on, the problem being running out of money. One is at the ice cream place and one is outside the store at Coconut Tree. Since they are not part of a bank, someone must come probably from Coxen Hole and refill them. So they probably run out of money over a weekend. In past years I did not find them working at all, so I carried a lot of cash. But as their reliability improves I and others are putting more of a demand on them. When I got home and read my statement I found that both exchanged at the prevailing interbank rate, and my bank had charged me its flat $5 fee. I generally try to use my credit cards in international travel, but many hotels and dive operators in Roatan give a hefty discount for cash, which lets them evade tax.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
885 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATMs in West End

Thanks Dhauk, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. I was thinking later that as long as I can find a wireless connection, I can check my bank statement on my Ipod after I've made an ATM transaction and I'll be able to see the damage without coming home and getting a surprise.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,674 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ATMs in West End

As mentioned , In June, the ATMs were lacking cash in West End

The ATM in the Mayan Princess (West Bay) always had cash

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATMs in West End

Bring cash (American) and skip the ATM if are from Canada.

The last day I thought we may need a couple of more bucks, and withdrew what I would have converted to about $60. Got home to over $85 if I remember right.

Cash is best!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,674 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ATMs in West End

yes, you should bring wads of US$ - lose on the exchange to US$ and then lose in the exchange to Lempiras

8. Re: ATMs in West End

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about West End
Recent Conversations