We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to decide on Roatan

Which West End hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
55 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to decide on Roatan

My wife and I are both in our early 30's and are planning a week long trip in late June. We are not divers (I have a sinus issue and can't...bla, bla, bla) and are curious if we would have fun in Roatan. Last year, we went to San Pedro, Belize and had a great time.

We'd probably take 2 excursions during the week (snorkeling or sailing or anything else recommended). The other days would be hanging out by the pool or beach.

We also like to hang out at beach bars and have good food. Not looking for crazy nightlife, just a place to relax and have some drinks at night. Will the bars be open during this time of year?

As for the hotel, we'd like a place that is located on the beach. From what I've read here on tripadvisor, I've been looking at hotels on the west end.

Sorry for all the questions. Any and all advice would be apreciated.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,008 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to decide on Roatan

West End is a great place but more so for divers. Hotels are across the road from the beach unless you check out Half Moon Bay which has the nicest beach compared to West End

But the best beach is West Bay where a majority of the hotels are right on the beach and has the best walk in snorkeling

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,851 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to decide on Roatan

If you liked San Pedro, you will be amazed at how much more beautiful Roatan is. Lush vegetation on high hillsides! Awesome snorkeling right from the shore. Much more "swimmable" beaches. I agree you would like West Bay. Lots of great places to stay, restaurants and beach bars within walking distance. Wide white sand beach and friendly people. Overall a much cleaner place as well. Decide, go and enjoy! Read the forums here and you will get a great bit of info on restaurants etc.

Paris Ontario
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to decide on Roatan

You will love Roatan wherever you decide to stay!

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to decide on Roatan

I agree with Obxpat if ya need pool and beach with food and beverage options but without the crazy night life of the 20/30something divers...West Bay is the choice.

Half Moon Bay Cabins is not on a beach though Half Moon Bay Beach is very close. Instead they have a sea wall with steps into the bay..the snorkeling there is good as well.

Sandy Bay and Palmetto Bay also have beaches, Palmetto may be a bit isolated and Sandy Bay may not have enough food options for ya.

Being West Bay is the premiere beach on the island there are days and times when it's a bit of a zoo, but if ya hang at the pool during zoo hours then all will be well.

By the by ~ the snorkeling right off parts of west bay beach can be very good.

There is a place on the west end of West End that has a beach but one would have to deal with the noise from Foster's on fri and sat night as well as the place on the beach a bit farther down.

Edited: 31 March 2010, 14:27
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to decide on Roatan

Is the Fosters in West End open again? It was closed in February... apparently sold and going through a renovation... didn't look like it would reopen any time soon...

Green Bay, WI
Level Contributor
74 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to decide on Roatan

The West End Fosters was still closed during our trip.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to decide on Roatan

Oops....wait are you guys talking about the bar or the accommodation?

The bar is on the water and the West End Foster's accommodation is on the other side of the road.

Hmm maybe you are talking about both.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
853 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to decide on Roatan

We left on the 25th and Fosters (West End) was still closed, hotel and bar.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,851 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trying to decide on Roatan

Foster's accomodations, restaurant and bar West Bay are all open. Great place to stay! Walk to Bite on The Beach and Las Rocas right next door. Plenty of other Resorts/Restaurants/Bars just down the beach. No pool, just the fantastic water off the beach!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,008 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trying to decide on Roatan

In both Roatan and Akumal (Mexico) we have never wanted a pool - the ocean is our pool

Get answers to your questions about West End
Recent Conversations