We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half Moon Bay Resort or Lands End????

Which West End hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Topic
Half Moon Bay Resort or Lands End????

Really excited for my arrival.... Torn between these two places if anyone has advise. We want to be able to snorkel from property which both claim you can do and have a nice clean room to sleep in (Lands End seems excelent). The web site for half moon resort is very basic and it received very low rank in trip advisor but had great reviews....Lands end ranked high with good reviews too. Anyone stayed here? Thanks! Oh, and if HMBR, no idea what room to request...

Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half Moon Bay Resort or Lands End????

Sorry, I haven't stayed at either but had friends stay at Land's End and were very happy. Yes you can snorkel from both places.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half Moon Bay Resort or Lands End????

I would thinking snorkeling from Lands End would be a challenge being they are right on the iron shore. My guess is you would be looking at the sea life right against the rocks and fighting the waves, all of that area is outside the protection of the reef. Good news, you would feel as though the whole of the sea was your play ground.

Half Moon Bay Cabins is right on half moon bay, I have snorkeled there many times and enjoy the abundance of sea life both on the sea bottom and along the shore, there is a herd of lobster living under the pier where the sub is. One will be sharing the water with other people and the occasional boat.

Lands End is going to be more quite, it is farther from West End.

Half Moon Bay has a restaurant I enjoy sitting to watch the sunset.

Lands End has a pool and deer. Half Moon Bay has neither.

Lands End has wifi, I do not know about Half Moon Bay Cabins.

I have not been in any of the rooms but if snorkeling from the property were my highest priority I would pick of the two choices Half Moon Bay Cabins.

By the by if you stay at Lands End you could walk nightly to the west end of West End...round trip might take 40 minutes. Could do the same from Half Moon Bay but it would take a be less time.

Edited: 08 July 2010, 19:43
Flowers Bay...
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Half Moon Bay Resort or Lands End????

As someone who regularly dives and snorkels the Ironshore I will admit it is not quite as easy as walking in on the beach but as long as seas are relatively calm there should not be an issue for most. You can't just stop and stand up anywhere you like but why would you? My parents have both snorkeled off our steps as well as some of their friends and so far no bloodshed. Nice thing once your in your there, on the reef ready to go.

This is not Lands End but will give an idea of what its like right at the ironshore.

http://roatan1.com/DSC_0077.jpg

Many years ago i stayed at Lands end for one night when my trip and a rental overlapped, It was called Bungalow 7 at the time but it was nice and a good location. The "beach" is just where they brought in a bunch of sand and does not go to the water but probably fine for those that lay out in a lounger and just make note that the pool is saltwater.

Edited: 08 July 2010, 20:08
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Half Moon Bay Resort or Lands End????

Thank you!! The photo was helpful and beautiful. For the relaxing trip we want I'm thinking of staying at HMR for the water access and perhaps having a meal at Lands End for the different experience. Everyone is so helpful on this site. Lands End seems nicer but the second will allow more money for water activities....love ending the night with a dip in a pool, perhaps we can find an owner who will allow us if we buy some drinks during the day. Looking forward to having this all set and just counting the days.....thank you again for the time of your input. If anyone still reads this and has a cabin suggestion let me know. Otherwise, see you in August Roatan.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Half Moon Bay Resort or Lands End????

I haven't stayed at either, but we rented a house close by. My choice would be Half Moon Resort, for both their restaurant and their snorkelling. The iron shore at Lands End would be tough snorkelling unless it was very calm. Regardless, the two places are only about a four minute walk from each other, and there will not be a problem entering the water at either place, regardless of where you stay.

I've got a picture of cabin 2 at Half Moon, if I knew how to add a picture I would attach it. Send me a message if you'd like to see it.

6. Re: Half Moon Bay Resort or Lands End????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2011, 08:55
Get answers to your questions about West End
Recent Conversations