We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Food in Roatan - What is available?

Which West End hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
Buying Food in Roatan - What is available?

Hello, we are coming to Roatan for four weeks. How are the food markets? How is the availability of different types of things - like fresh versus boxed milk, soy milk, american cereals, etc? Should I bring my own coffee? Just curious. Thanks for any tips!

roatan
Level Contributor
287 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Food in Roatan - What is available?

The large grocery store in French Harbour has many North American items. The Island also has many opportunities for vegetarian items like soy milk, rice milk, tofu....and a ton of bean selections since rice and beans are the staples here. There are also great choices for fruits and vegetables. There is a hydroponic garden business here also. Honduras grows some of the best coffee in the world so I'd skip packing that.

Plaza Mar in Coxen Hole also has a great selection just not as many "Gringo" choices. Many of the Honduran options are fantastic and you could try some of those since "when in Rome" applies to you

Have fun and try some new options...Honduran baleadas are fabulous!

Bonnie

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
280 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Food in Roatan - What is available?

Bring coffee to Central America??? That's funny!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Food in Roatan - What is available?

We brought back as much coffee as we could fit in our suitcase FROM Roatan. Cafe Buenos Diaz is grown on the mainland, then the beans are brought to the owners' place on West Bay Beach (at "The Emerald Beach Club) where it is roasted. Great coffee.

You can find it in stores, but you can get it directly from the folks who grow and roast it at Casa de Paradise

http://www.casadeparadise.com/

just east of Henry Morgan on West Bay Beach. Just catch one of the girls who work there - they do the cleaning, but they also roast the coffee in small batches. Ask them and they might show you the roasting equipment.... and if you catch the days when they are roasting, the aroma is heavenly!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Food in Roatan - What is available?

right, pack your bags full of that Honduras coffee. Along with those great Honduran cigars.

West End food stores have limited offerings, and not great prices. There's always the option of buying fresh fish, fruit, and veggies off the trucks in town.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Food in Roatan - What is available?

Just to clarify for readers... the only place you can get a full range of groceries is in the larger grocery stores like Eldon's in French Harbor and Plaza del Mar in Coxen Hole. Unless you have some special tastes - you simply must have a certain brand of gravlox for Sunday brunch - you'll do just fine.

In the area where tourists are likely to be staying - West End, West Bay, Sandy Bay - the offerings are more limited.

Woody's in West End kind of combines groceries with other things you might need - mosquito coils, higher wattage light bulbs, rat traps - kind of general hardware and sundry along with essential groceries (closed Friday night and Saturday during the day - owners are Seventh Day Adventists.) In West Bay the Mangiamo Market and deli has a selection, with some higher end products - but not a full selection. People rave about their sandwiches. It is next to Cool Beans, a nice coffee spot with internet.

And then there are the mini-stores. These are the places you can hit when a rum emergency arises - but the quality of the products can vary widely. If the bread truck delivered bread recently, you might find fresh bread - or you might get the loaf from the delivery the previous week. Rotating stock is not a common procedure.

My favorite was when my spouse was craving a Snicker's fix. I walked into West End and started searching the stores. Found one outrageously priced bar and walked home. The condition suggested that the bar was probably made sometime in the previous decade, but that it had been stored on the shelf through lots of tropical weather with no air conditioning for quite some time. The chocolate takes on a kind of gray cast with a powdery covering.

Of course - she ate it anyway. It was a Snickers!

Bottom line - make a grocery list before you leave home or on the plane. Stop at Plaza del Mar and stock up. Prices on rum are good, beer is fair, and altogether it is a fun shopping experience. Use the minimarts for the occasional need... but if a second grocery run is required, it is probably worth the short taxi ride back into Coxen Hole... or maybe check out the markets in French Harbor.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
3,828 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Food in Roatan - What is available?

What is the name of the store IN Coxen Hole, next to the wanna be park....My understanding is Eldon of Eldon's in French Harbor bought it a couple years ago with the intend of stocking it much like Eldon's in French Harbor.

It is pretty much hit and miss with many items in the stores but you will not starve by any means. It took me a week to find real butter and chocolate chips one year, had a friend requesting cookies.

By the by ~ real butter and milk from the states seem off the charts expensive to me. I think I paid $5 for a gallon of milk one day. Whew!

7. Re: Buying Food in Roatan - What is available?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2011, 10:45
Dieppe, Canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying Food in Roatan - What is available?

Wow! $5 for 1 gallon of milk? That's less than we pay here in Canada! (and lord knows we produce lot's of milk with all our dairy cows - how ironic!) I'm glad to know that they now have "States Milk" since we will be traveling there with our 2 year old daughter who still drinks 2+ gallons a week, so it's a relief to know they sell it on the island. Thanks for the valuable info =)

Dieppe, Canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying Food in Roatan - What is available?

From the shopping we did when we where there I remember that:

-Most meat is sold frozen, not fresh.

-Lot's of fresh fruits and local vegetables.

-Tomatoes are not common, and quite expensive.

-Chocolate is sold in the refrigerated section (so it doesn't melt).

-Soda drinks are often less expensive at a bar than at a store.

-Coffee is amazing on the island.

-Ask around to find out when the fresh bread is delivered.

-Lot's of canned selection.

Hope that helps :)

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,643 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying Food in Roatan - What is available?

Don't forget the fantastic seafood. Whie normally wary of "street vendor" seafood we really enjoyed the large fresh shrimp we bought. Also fish from Coxen Hole. In the name of freshness most is flash frozen (IQF). Does not affect the flavor at all! As for the coffee is is fantastic! My Husband recently switched to decaf ; ( Anyone know if it is avail? If not I can bring some and do a 1/2 blend. We found everything we needed at Eldon's and it will be our first stop from the airport this trip. Loved the hydroponic lettuce served on the island, anyone know where it it grown and if we can source fresh produce from there?

Get answers to your questions about West End
Recent Conversations