We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crystal Beach Cabins

Which West End hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Roatan
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Crystal Beach Cabins

What is up with this place? I was told the owners are very dangerous and I would be crazy to stay there?

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crystal Beach Cabins

Do some research!! There is plenty of info here on TA about these folks and their place. Long History of "violent" behavior....hopefully this is not a "troll" dredging up what has been already hashed out.

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crystal Beach Cabins

Google Joe O'Donnel. He lived on Roatan. Alledgedly the owner of CBC shot Joe in the back in broad daylight while Joe was un-armed. This alledgedly took place after an incident Joe had with the owners wife. The trail is still pending while the accused is under house arrest. There have been unconfirmed reports of the alledged shooter (Mr. Sam Westly) being seen out and about. Here in the states, people are innocent until guilt is proven. This is just what I have heard through the coconut vine. I have written alledgedly because none of this did I witness myself, I dont wish to be sued.

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crystal Beach Cabins

The alleged criminal's name is Sam Wesley. Sorry for the error.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,057 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crystal Beach Cabins

There are lots of nice inexpensive places to stay in West End where you don't run the immediate risk of getting killed. I don't think any other sane member of humanity would want to reward these people with their patronage.

michigan
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crystal Beach Cabins

to dhauk ...

what is your recommendation of inexpensive place to stay for a single person ?

thanks

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,057 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crystal Beach Cabins

donnap27

here are some names of cheap places in WEst End. These are all across the roaad from the water along Half Moon Bay. I know nothing about them and have never been inside any of them, and have never tallked to anyone who has, so all I can say is that they are cheap and they exist. Maybe our island residents on TA can add to the list.

Chillies at Native Sons

Coconut Tree Cabins

Posada Arco Iris

Dolphin Inn

These places seem to persist year after year so they must be OK but I personally would not reserve there without seeing them first.

Manitoba
Level Contributor
344 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crystal Beach Cabins

Try Cocolobo in West End or even Land's End at West End......................both nice!

michigan
Level Contributor
29 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crystal Beach Cabins

thank you both ...

i'll check them all out!

Donna

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crystal Beach Cabins

One additional note on the shooting incident. An initial court hearing was held and Sam Wesley was bound over for trial.

I asked a number of people about the current status and the concensus is that he will never actually have to stand trial. The rumor mill is even quite specific about what bribes were required to bring about this end.

I hope this is not true - quite hard for an American to understand how this can happen, how people will tolerate corruption. But the fact is, there are different rules for islanders and non-islanders, and the law and courts do not function in the same way as they do in America. In this case, the shooter was an islander and the victim was an Australian. For many of the people I talked to, that was all you had to know.

Interesting alternative scenario. We ate at Tongs a couple of days ago. I asked our waiter who was operating the restaurant since the Tong family moved. There was an incident some time ago involving a breakin at the Tong residence by armed gunment... Tong protected his family and shot back... killed one and probably wounded another. A non-islander shot islanders.

The Tongs moved and, at the time, said they would not reopen the popular West End restaurant. The restaurant did reopen, so I asked who was operating it. The waiter's reply was slightly cryptic... "Tong still operates the restaurant, but he is in a safe place." It seems that, though he was exonerated, Tong can't feel safe living there after the incident.

(btw - the dinner was excellent - not cheap, but very well prepared food, good service, and great setting on the water...)

I don't want to suggest this is specific to Roatan, or to Honduras. I've heard similar stories from folks in many developing countries. And, of course, there is graft and corruption in the more developed countries as well. I think the amounts are higher and it is better hidden in wealthier countries...

La Habra, California
Level Contributor
260 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crystal Beach Cabins

@idiots, very well said!!!!! Big ups!!!!!! I got married on West Bay Beach at Fosters on sat the 10th!!!!!

Get answers to your questions about West End
Recent Conversations