We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery stores

Jeffersonville...
6 posts
Save Topic
Grocery stores

My family and I are staying at West End we were told it would cost us $25 to stop at the grocery store on the way to our Villa. Is it worth the stop or is there a grocery store I can walk to once we get there. We are not going to have a car and want groceries for lunches and snacks and maybe a dinner or two. I think it is a ten min walk from the West End to our place.

Thanks

Minnesota
Level Contributor
369 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery stores

I'm having trouble figuring out why it should cost you $25 extra to stop at a grocery store on your way from the airport to West End. Most of the taxi drivers don't charge more for a stop "on the way". If transport is included with your room, I can't imagine them charging $25.

In any case, you'll probably save the money in lower grocery costs. I would do a bit more checking on the charges they're quoting you. Maybe you're better off paying a regular taxi?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery stores

Wondering which side of West End you will be on. The bus (minivans every 10 minutes during the day) will get you from West End or closer to the grocery for $1 a person. You buy your groceries, then flag down a taxi. With groceries and a couple of people, the taxi driver will quote you $15 or $20 to West End and you can offer $10 or $15...

The groceries in West End are something between a minimart and a full grocery store... fine for picking up staples, but expensive and quality can vary depending how long something has been on the shelves.

Bottom line - if they are seriously trying to get an extra $25 for their time and trouble (our rental included the stop for nothing as part of the complimentary ride) I'd tell them to pick me and my luggage up and then drop me at the store - let them deliver the luggage. This is assuming your place is one you can find with a taxi driver - they don't always know the names of the developments...

Houston
Level Contributor
80 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery stores

I bought pasta at the gas station near West End, it was twice the price of Plaza Mar and had bugs and I of course threw it away. Beer in West End as well as wine is twice to three times the price at Plaza Mar. Once a week I took a taxi collectivo to Plaza Mar and filled up with staples and beer.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery stores

Definitely get groceries en route from airport...the groceries will be far cheaper...however the fruits and veggies are much cheaper at the fruit/veggie stands in West End than they are at the grocery store...so just keep that in mind if you need some more fruit and veggies during the week.

Roatan
Level Contributor
621 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery stores

Ditto...stop at the grocery store in Coxen Hole. I prefer the new Eldons and even buy great veggies and fruits there. That can get you started and then you can replenish at the veggie truck in town. $25 for a stop is outrageous. I like idea of telling your transport to drop you off at the store and take your luggage to your accommodation and then negotiate with a cab from the store. They are always hanging around the grocery stores so no problem. The grocery stores in West End are good for emergency supplies only.

Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery stores

i love the new eldon's in coxen hole also. very much worth stopping there first so you get all your supplies. the mini mart in west end is very picky about the money you give them so have lempiras to save yourself some grief

Jeffersonville...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery stores

Thanks for the suggestions will be there very soon.

8. Re: Grocery stores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 16:40
Get answers to your questions about West End
Recent Conversations