We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better for diving?? Las Rocas Resort or Splash Inn??

Boston...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Better for diving?? Las Rocas Resort or Splash Inn??

Hello- my scuba body and I are traveling to Roatan for our annual diving vacation in March. I've checked both dive shops but not sure which one offers better and safer diving. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
774 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Better for diving?? Las Rocas Resort or Splash Inn??

Either dive shop will take you to essentially the same dive sites- if that's what you mean by "better". If you are referring to the character of the boats? About the same.

Both outfits do considerable cruise ship business, so they are well used-to watching their guest divers like hawks. This is not said simply to disparage cruise ship divers- just that any DMs first time in the water with any given diver brings to them a heightened state of awareness. This has NOTHING to do with "safer diving". Do not assume any standard of attention or care by anyone in paradise who you call a Dive Master- these people are there to get you out and in their boats without you mangling yourself, and maybe maybe point out some cool stuff. Fair DMs will point at rocks and fish, better DMs will find macro critters like Sea Horses, Great DMs will find them on every dive.

Not to your query, the OP, but for some others who may be wondering... "What to do if my diving is shaky?". It is very inexpensive in the Bay Islands to hire your own personal DM to go along on regular boat dives. He will be your dive valet and will concern himself with your safety and enjoyment. There is no substitute for this kind of personal service, but it is funny how many worried people won't pop for the $50/day for their family of four "to have this extra feeling of security". I say- money well spent, if you need that assistance, nothing to be ashamed of, either. Just do not imagine that this heightened standard of care is included in ANY dive op's regular product offering, notwithstanding the righteous claims of any given dive op.

An additional thought- do not worry a lot if your Dive Guide doesn't have an array of Certification Patches... that doesn't mean much. I would rather be attended by one of these DMs who spend their entire adult lives dealing with idiots like me- rather them than some guy from a Florida Dive Operation with every instructor credential ever invented. The local DMs on Roatan have amazing technical skills. The trick, again, is to also find one with Naturalist Skill Sets... can he consistently find the cool stuff?

The quest for "safer diving" is satisfied at a base level by only two things: Oxygen on board the dive boat and the ability and awareness of the guest diver himself. You, as a diver, bring your own "safety" on every dive, from your 10th to the 10,000th splash.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,445 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better for diving?? Las Rocas Resort or Splash Inn??

not really sure what you mean by better. With so much competition a poor operation does not survive. You will get strong preferences for both Splash and Rocas. My personal preference would be for Splash for several reasons.

(1) The DM at Splash, Ricardo, is one of the brightest funniest most competent kids I know. I dove with him several years ago. I would not hesitate to dive with him again.

(2) Splash has a bigger boat, meaning there's room to move around and get in the shade and to carry extra tanks for a second dive without returning to the dock. It's easier to get back into the boat than into a panga boat like what Rocas has.

(3) I don't think much of the rooms or the food at Rocas. The restaurant at Splash offers huge Italian meals at a low price. Splash has nicer new rooms but no water views.

(4) Splash is in West End, which is better for the young and/or single

(5) the best dive sites are all to the north/east of Splash and Rocas, meaning that Splash is 5 minutes closer to the sites you will want to dive. The sites closer to Rocas are easier deep snorkel sites, not representative of what Roatan can offer. I really can't think of a single thing that would favor Rocas.

Onalaska, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better for diving?? Las Rocas Resort or Splash Inn??

We just spent a week with Splash Inn Diving and they did a great job. We did the Aquila wreck and the divemaster Ken was very adamant about the group staying together so we all had the same dive profile and it is a very busy site. All the personnel in the dive shop and on the boats were very good and helpful at every turn. One surface interval was turned into a snorkle trip when someone called the shop to tell us a whale shark had been sighted. Most everyone who could, divers and everyone else at the shop, got back on the boat to intercept the big fish fish. We spent 40 to 50 minutes looking and finally got a look at he whale shark swimming by on our second jump into the water.

4. Re: Better for diving?? Las Rocas Resort or Splash Inn??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2015, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about West End
Recent Conversations