We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't use your ATM Card at the West End!

Which West End hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Level Contributor
545 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Don't use your ATM Card at the West End!

After a fabulous trip to Roatan almost a month ago, someone has taken all my money from my account . I used 2 ATM machines, 1 in front of Cocunut Tree and the other across from the church. I even put my hand over the key pad as i accessed the card! They withdrew the money from a Lima Peru location. Bring enough cash.. Do not use the ATM's.. I would take this advise. I never thought it would happen to me. I am very caucus and well traveled.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't use your ATM Card at the West End!

What is your liability on the account?

United States
Level Contributor
545 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't use your ATM Card at the West End!

I will most likely will be re inbursed by my bank. It will be just a hassle. My best friend went to Roatan at Christmas, used the same ATM's and was hit this week as well. Someone needs to shut those ATM's down...immediately. This is not the first time I read about this. Someone previously stated not to use the one at Coconut Tree. The native people in this area are extremely nice people. Someone needs to pass this information on to the Coconut tree resort so they can take action!! I am positive it happened between these 2 ATM's. That is the only place i used the card!

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't use your ATM Card at the West End!

Good to know that your bank will reimburse you... not like you are in Peru and the debit could be legit.... In order to avoid problems like this some people have a 'travel' account where they keep a small amount of cash and transfer into it as they need it. I may be wrong but as I remember that is a Banco Lafisse machine at Coconut Tree.

Edited: 16 February 2014, 14:24
United States
Level Contributor
545 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't use your ATM Card at the West End!

Its to bad someone there doesn't do anything about this. Take out the machines if you can not keep them from being compromised. Tourism is not at its best there and I think they should take action immediately! I covered the key pad, i did everything with caution...meaning there is a sophisticated technique being used. The machine owners are being negligent and closed eye to this. Truth hurts!

Canada
Level Contributor
523 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't use your ATM Card at the West End!

Is there an ATM machine at the bank itself in West End?

United States
Level Contributor
545 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't use your ATM Card at the West End!

There is no bank at the west end. I think you have to go to Coxen Hole, but am not sure..Just bring cash..small bills, 1,5 and 10. The hotels, resorts and lodges can keep it in their safe. The people are very very nice and that would be the path i will take when i visit again. no more ATM's.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,074 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't use your ATM Card at the West End!

Bummer! Here's my advice for ATM use in CA, even for places with no known history of problems (reposted from a previous thread).

Last year I set up a travel account at a different bank from where I normally do my banking; ATM card use is free and I use it while traveling, then change my password and empty it so I don't have worries about subsequent removal of the funds if the ATMs are buggy. I have it set up with daily emailed balance notices so I can keep an eye on my balance without having to use my bank password in questionable wifi environments.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't use your ATM Card at the West End!

Joe, This is why I posted as I did in this thread tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303875-i11159-k63…

and Will posted as he did here tripadvisor.com/…55723342

Unfortunately many people seem to only hear or see what they want. Myself nd another very knowledgable on Roatan suggest against cards and ATM's yet others visit a few times and its all clear ?? Sorry it happened and hopefully others will heed the warnings. As far as "THEY" should fix the problem?? It is Honduras, poor third world no matter how pretty it is, "They" should also fix the poverty rate, the murder rate, the rampant spread of aids, etc...

United States
Level Contributor
545 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't use your ATM Card at the West End!

I do agree... and did not listen to the posts! That is why I have posted this again. I believe if the towns people knew about this problem, they would also warn the tourists. I found the people in west end very nice, honest, warm and kind. I talked with many many towns people while i was there. Spread the word.. Close down the ATM machines. There is an organized few that are doing this. This is not a local scam! Maybe I just dont get it:-(

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't use your ATM Card at the West End!

Joe, You have nice thoughts yet you need to realize that your not in Kansas anymore, Townspeople have trouble with all types of corruption, you have likely read about Honduran crime, we have a multi billionaire that has not been able to fix the little electric company in over 5 years,, ATM.s which make money for powerful people are not high priority for most local folks , Welcome to Honduras. Anyway, I don't want to get into non travel debate, should you like to discuss firther with me then I can do the private message thing

Edited: 16 February 2014, 15:11
Get answers to your questions about West End
Recent Conversations