We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thekkady and Munnar : Good budget Hotel & things to do.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Thekkady and Munnar : Good budget Hotel & things to do.

My brother and another couple (total 4 adults and 3 kids) will be visiting Kerala for 7 nights starting May 27th by private car.

They will be starting from Alleppey on 31st May and will depart from Coimbatore on evening of 3rd June. Means they have 4 days (3 Nights) to spend in Thekkady and Munnar.

I hope to have the experts advice for the things to do in these days. I am looking at things to do in TA but I am looking to place the things on these 4 days.

Should we stay 2 nights at Thekkady or at Munnar? or 3 nights at one place?

Also kindly give me any good hotel options with a good nature view. Resort kind of atmosphere will be a bonus. As they will be having a car hence even if hotel is little far off, its not an issue. Budget is about Rs.2500 -3500 per room/per night.

Though never did homestay , but eager to know if its enjoyable.

Thanks a lot for your replies.I have posted another query, but seems it has escaped experts eyes.

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g297631-i5501-k6442…

Edited: 26 April 2013, 02:45
Mentioned in this post
Kerala
Kerala
India
Coimbatore
Coimbatore
Coimbatore District, India
Thekkady
Thekkady
Idukki District, India
Munnar
Munnar
Idukki District, India
Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thekkady and Munnar : Good budget Hotel & things to do.

Hi,

I would suggest two nights in Munnar definitely. You can include one night in Thekkady also since its on the way to Alleppey - Munnar.

So your itinerary could be,

31st - Alleppey (Houseboat)

1st - Thekkady

2nd - Munnar

3rd - Munnar

Regarding homestays, there are some excellent rated farm stays in Munnar, which are located in beautiful settings. Normally family travelers enjoy these kind of accommodation very much.

I can give you more suggestions regarding your accommodation options. Message me your email ID, so that i can mail you the details.

Regards,

Sreejith PC

Mentioned in this post
Thekkady
Thekkady
Idukki District, India
Munnar
Munnar
Idukki District, India
Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thekkady and Munnar : Good budget Hotel & things to do.

Hello

One night in Thekkady is enough. You don't have much to do in Thekkady. The Periyar wild life sanctuary and Periyar lake visit are the only major sight seeing places. Both are at one place. in fact you have to go to the wild life sanctuary (100 Rs entry ticket). Inside the sanctuary, you will find the lake. The major problem here is getting the boat tickets. You have to book them in advance or go very early in the morning to buy. The hotel which nearly meets your requirements is Hotel Ambadi. It is a semi resort type with car parking and close to the sanctuary etc. Also within your budget range. The food is good here and also reasonable priced.

When you are in thekkady dont miss watching Kathakali performance at Mudra arts. It is really worth seeing. You can bargain the ticket price. i was told that somebody got it for 150 Rs. while the normal price is 200.

You can stay in Munnar for 2 nights. If you have not seen Kumarakom, I strongly suggest you to stay there for 1 night as you all will enjoy sunset and the house boat ride.

Mentioned in this post
Thekkady
Thekkady
Idukki District, India
Hotel Ambadi
Hotel Ambadi
275 Reviews
Thekkady, India
Munnar
Munnar
Idukki District, India
Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thekkady and Munnar : Good budget Hotel & things to do.

Thanks a lot Sreejith PC and Usha65.

Your replies will be helpful in finalizing the plan. I have decided for 1 night at Thekkady and 2 nights at Munnar.

Do let me know the things to do in Munnar. As this will be end of the holidays, would like wind up in memorable munnar days.

Regarding hotel at Munnar, I was looking at Aranyaka Resort Hotel, which looks little pricey (about Rs.4000). or KTDC Oak Fields. Can you suggest other resort hotel or maybe homestay (not sure how it will be).

Usha i am looking at your suggestion of Ambady Estate too.

At Thekkady, I was looking for a little cheaper place. How about Jungle Palace? Or 1 night homestay?

Thanks once again.

Mentioned in this post
Thekkady
Thekkady
Idukki District, India
Munnar
Munnar
Idukki District, India
Aranyaka Resort
Aranyaka Resort
1,032 Reviews
Pallivasal, India
Oak Fields
Oak Fields
173 Reviews
Munnar, India
Ambady Estate
Ambady Estate
238 Reviews
Munnar, India
Munnar, India
Level Contributor
324 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Thekkady and Munnar : Good budget Hotel & things to do.

Hi sanjeev_abhish

Check this

Munnar Home stay Ripples Rock

Thekkady Jungel palace

Regards

Lovelymunnar

Mentioned in this post
Munnar
Munnar
Idukki District, India
Thekkady
Thekkady
Idukki District, India
Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Thekkady and Munnar : Good budget Hotel & things to do.

Kerala at glance – 6 Nights/ 7 days package

Cochin/Munnar /Thekkady/Houseboat/Kumarakom

Day 1 Arrival Cochin/Stay at Cochin Arrive Ernakulum Railway station or Cochin International Airport. Transfer and Check in the Hotel. Your tour program shall be reviewed and discussed in detail at our office at Cochin. You shall also be provided with a detailed day wise ititnery and sightseeing brouchres with detailed description and photograph of sightseeing spots as per your tour program. Visit Jewish Synagogue, Dutch Palace, St. Francis Church, Chinese fishing nets, shopping in the heart of the city, Pigeon miracle at Jain temple at Cochin. O/n at Hotel

Day 2 Munnar After Breakfast surface to Munnar. Enroute stopover at Cheeyyaapara waterfalls, Pothamedu viewpoint. Check in the Hotel. Visit Tata Tea Museum, Rose garden Park. O/n at Hotel

Day 3 Munnar After breakfast visit Rajamallai National Park, Mattupetty dam, Boating, Echo point, Kundale Dam, Top Station. . O/n at Hotel

Day 4 Thekkady After breakfast surface to Thekkady and check-in the Hotel. Witness spice plantation tour of kerala, demonstration of Kathakali & Kalaripayatu art form, Elephant ride, Stroll in the town of Kumily. O/n at Hotel

Day 5 Houseboat In the morning visit Wild Life Sanctuary and boating across Periyar Lake. After breakfast, Surface to Alleppey for a kerala backwater cruise across kerala traditional ‘Houseboat called Kettuvallam’. Check-in the House boat. O/n on the Houseboat

Day 6 Kumarakom After breakfast checkout from the houseboat. Visit Alleppey beach. Enroute optional visit to the Jain temple. Check-in the resort at Kumarakom .Full day at leisure for activities in the resort. Optional activities can be opted at the resort. O/n at the resort.

Day 7 Departure Visit the Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary. After Breakfast surface to Cochin. Reach Cochin Railway station or Cochin International Airport at the Scheduled time for departure to onward destination.

Mentioned in this post
Kerala
Kerala
India
Kochi (Cochin)
Kochi (Cochin)
Kerala, India
Munnar
Munnar
Idukki District, India
Thekkady
Thekkady
Idukki District, India
Kumarakom
Kumarakom
Kottayam District, India
Jain Temple
Jain Temple
77 Reviews
Kochi (Cochin), India
Pothamedu Viewpoint
Pothamedu Viewpoint
331 Reviews
Pothamedu, India
Mattupetty Dam
Mattupetty Dam
3,588 Reviews
Munnar, India
Top Station
Top Station
1,697 Reviews
Munnar, India
Periyar Lake
Periyar Lake
1,703 Reviews
Thekkady, India
Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary
Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary
810 Reviews
Kumarakom, India
munnar
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thekkady and Munnar : Good budget Hotel & things to do.

munnar www.munnarheaven.com

thekkady ambady thekkady

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Thekkady and Munnar : Good budget Hotel & things to do.

THEKKADY : Elephant rides through varius locations closeby. Kumily town near Thekkady has numerous spice stores- the smell of spices will guide you. Thekkady has a lot more to offer than spices. Periyar Tiger reserve is in Thekkady. You can have a boat ride through the lake and spot numerous animals and birds- the place also offers adventurous rides on bamboo rafts too.

Munnar is a place with lots and lots to see. This day is also reserved for visiting Munnar and its surroundings. Take a trip to Iravikulam National Park ,the rare Nilgiri Tahrs, trek through the misty mountains, go shopping for home made chocolates- there is so much to do operators if needed..My suggestions are aboutkeralatourism.com , travel planners and so on...

For stay/ accomodation @ Munnar I prefer Camelot Resort

Camelot resort situated at the top most part of Munnar, Camelot really is a hill station and provides you room with your budget. You can catch the wonderful view of the misty mountains around Camelot.

Mentioned in this post
Thekkady
Thekkady
Idukki District, India
Munnar
Munnar
Idukki District, India
Camelot Resort
Camelot Resort
123 Reviews
Munnar, India
Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
444 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thekkady and Munnar : Good budget Hotel & things to do.

Dear Sanjeev

have 1 night stay at Thekkady and 2 at Munnar. if they like to do adventurous activities increase one more night at Thekkady but should stay minimum of 2 night at Munnar.

At thekkady - you can try with Tree trop, Green woods, Cardamom county and at Munnar - Deshadan, Tea valley etc.

Mentioned in this post
Thekkady
Thekkady
Idukki District, India
Munnar
Munnar
Idukki District, India
Cardamom County
Cardamom County
1,012 Reviews
Kumily, India
Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thekkady and Munnar : Good budget Hotel & things to do.

Thanks to all, specially to shikanehra and RatheeshRNath

Certainly very helpful

Kalpetta, India
Destination Expert
for Kalpetta, Kozhikode, Mysuru (Mysore), Kodagu (Coorg), Sultan Bathery, Wayanad District, Kerala
Level Contributor
880 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thekkady and Munnar : Good budget Hotel & things to do.

Hi

At Munnar - Clouds Valley, T and U, C7, Grand Plaza, Misty Mountain.

Thekkady - Tree Top, Silver Crest, Grand Thekkady

Regards

Sam Varghese

Mentioned in this post
Munnar
Munnar
Idukki District, India
Grand Plaza Munnar
Grand Plaza Munnar
1,114 Reviews
Munnar, India
Misty Mountain Resort