We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

north tour

Mumbai
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
north tour

HIya folks,

I plan to travel up north and need some suggestions on the same. I plan to travel to amritsar in the last week of august and then from there go to manali. However i would like to know what places can i visit/ stop over at on the way to manali. I have heard of dalhousie , dharmassala how long does one need to spend in these places a day or more? how long would it take from amritsar to manli by car? how far is manali from chandigarh which is my next destination.How many days are required in Chandigarh?

Last but not the least is the last week of august, early sep, favourable in terms of climate to travel in these regions ?

Look forward to the suggestions.

Thanks & Regards,

Asmita

Mentioned in this post
Amritsar, India
Level Contributor
216 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: north tour

hi your drive from Amritsar to manali would read something like Amritsar-gurdaspur-pathankot from pathankot you will be entering himachal

Route 1:

Along from here your first detour might be dharamshala before hitting palampur...dharamshala i would suggest that you take 2-3 days minimum cause nothing is done nice if done in a hurry use it as a pit spot explore McLeodganj the Tibetan temples, the ppl the culture...another place you might want to stop at would be palampur...famous for its mountain scenery and various plantations and tea gardens and a few hindu temples...driving along Nh-20 next stop would most likely be Mandi with 300 odd temples... again palampur and Mandi i would suggest take it slow 2 days each or maybe 3 in palampur and one in Mandi (im not big on temples) then onto Nh21 to Kullu(day-stop)and then further on to Manali...

Route 2:

palampur onwards you dont follow Nh20 and skip Mandi altogether and go direct to manali....

follow state highway 37 from palampur to entre chamba district then ontu kangra dist again finally into kullu district then onto manali...a detailed route by yahoo maps india goes like this...

Driving Directions

1 Straight (0.3 km) on a local road in Palampur, Kangra, Palampur going toward NH20 Hwy

2 1st Left onto NH20 Hwy, go 0.7 km

3 1st Left onto SH37 Hwy, go 24 km.

Leave Palampur.

Enter Chamba District.

4 Take Slight Right, go 6.2 km

5 Take Right, go 9.4 km

6 Take Left, go 0.8 km.

Enter Kangra District.

7 Take 1st Right, go 2.3 km

8 Take Slight Right, go 13 km

9 Take Right, go 23 km.

Enter Kullu District at 10 km.

10 Take Left, go 2.6 km

11 Continue down Hadimba Rd: 0.1 km.

Enter Manali.

12 Take Slight 1st Left, go 1.9 km

13 Slight 1st Right onto Circuit House Rd, go 2.6 km

im sure your driver would be familiar with both just ask him which route he would be takin (provided you dont plan to drive youself)

Mentioned in this post
Amritsar
Amritsar
Amritsar District, India
Kullu
Kullu
Kullu District, India
Manali
Manali
Manali Tehsil, India
Amritsar, India
Level Contributor
216 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: north tour

manali to Chandigarh is roughly 320 km about a 12 hour or so journey...about Chandigarh you can do it in a day or well take 3 ...its well planned neat clean green airy city unlike most of our cities...not much culturally or heritage wise...but lots of other distractions...rock garden sukhana lake etc...

About dalhousie now that is a long long detour from your planned trip(its out of da way big time)...but a day there would be fine...

actually the weather would be just fine in Amritsar and Chandigarh to say the least...it would be oppressively hot like it is these days... the hills might get a little nippy(really little) in the evening but otherwise it will be business as usual...

any queries bout Amritsar lemme know...hv fun...

Mentioned in this post
Amritsar
Amritsar
Amritsar District, India
Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: north tour

I would like to add to jones reply,

Dalhousie can also be done in the same trip instead of considering it after Manali (obviously a long way back) you can actually head in the start of your amritsar ownwards trip from pathankot to Dalhousie it is around 70-80 kms. from there you can spend around 1-2 days there and than get back to pathankot and than follow on the itinerary mentioned by jones here above.

cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Dalhousie
Dalhousie
Chamba District, India
Manali
Manali
Manali Tehsil, India
Mumbai
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: north tour

jones,

thxu for ur suggestions once again. U seem 2 knw the places inch by inch. well in terms of driving it down do u knw of any gud drivers who could drive us ard.. we abt 5 of us traveling.did surf the net and think dharamsala and pathankot fall on the way...to manali i dont think we can give more then a day to each lets c... do let me knw..

THXS & RGDS,

ASMITA.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: north tour

thxs for you suggestions wld def want to try and visit dalhousie 2

thxs and rgds,

Asmita

Amritsar, India
Level Contributor
216 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: north tour

ahh you have me thr i cant really recommend and drivers/cab service...unfortunately havent ever hired the services of one..u knw like to drive myself...but i will try to fish smthin out for you...keep ur fingers crossed....

Mumbai
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: north tour

:) well but thxu 4 all the info..

Rgds,

asmita,

8. Re: north tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2009, 06:19