We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some of Rajasthan and Amritsar and Almora/Nainital

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Some of Rajasthan and Amritsar and Almora/Nainital

Hi. I posted this already in the Rajasthan forum but thought I'd post it to another relevant forum. My friend and are trying to plan our 2-week trip and could definitely use some advice.

Our current thinking is:

Delhi - Agra - Udaipur - Amritsar - Almora/Nainatal

This would mean missing Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, and Jaipur, but getting to see Amristar and then spending a couple days winding down and relaxing in villages at the foothills of the Himalayas.

I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have on what we're seeing and what we're missing. I really want to go to the villages and see the Himalayas, so want to reserve 2-3 nights at the end to do that. But we only have 12 nights.

I know we can take trains between Delhi-Agra-Udaipur, but trying to figure out how to then get to Amritsar and Almora...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Amritsar, India
Level Contributor
87 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some of Rajasthan and Amritsar and Almora/Nainital

Dear traveller,

There is direct train from Jaipur to Amritsar ( the only direct train between Rajasthan state and Amritsar). You can book the ticket online from www.irctc.co.in.

Another alternative is to reach Delhi from Udaipur and take a morning/evening Shatabadi Express (Fastest way to travel by train from Delhi to Amritsar, though you can take a flight as well)

For spending time at Himalayas, you can go to Dharamshala/McLeodganj directly from Amritsar. Train is available from Amritsar to Pathankot and then from Pathankot you can hire a taxi or travel by normal bus to Dharamshala. You will find lot of tourists/foreigners at Mcleadganj/Dharamshala. Mcleodganj is about 5 Kms from Dharamshala and you can should stay there only.

At Amritsar you can visit Golden Temple, Jallaianwalah Bagh, attend Indian-Pakistan border retreat ceremony (before sunset, you should be there by 4:00 PM and they have special seating arrangements for foreign tourists) , visit Maharaja Ranjit Singh Panaroma, Durgiana temple and do shopping at local markets.

I hope it answers your query abt visiting Himalayas and Amritsar. Let me know if you need more information

Regards

Yogesh

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,678 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some of Rajasthan and Amritsar and Almora/Nainital

You can try the following itinerary

Delhi > Kathgodam (Nainital) > Kausani > Lucknow (via Kathgodam) > Amritsar > Delhi

Delhi to Kathgodam, Kathgodam to Lucknow and Lucknow to Amritsar by trains.

Leave Udaipur for the next trip to Rajasthan, otherwise, the whole trip will be jumble-up. You'll find hardly any time to enjoy the places within your time frame.

Edited: 10 February 2011, 08:53
3. Re: Some of Rajasthan and Amritsar and Almora/Nainital

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 06:16