We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Bundi - questions

Florida Keys
10 posts
Save Topic
First time to Bundi - questions

I am a first time visitor to India looking for a laidback destination after spending 10 busy days on a tour of Northern India in late February . Bundi was recommended ( by "cyberhippie ") and it sounds great according to "Lonely Planet" guide.

A few questions - what's the weather like in mid-March ?

Is it advisable to travel there by car from Delhi. ( A friend from Delhi will be driving. ) What are the roads like ? How long would it take ?

Are there better travel options - bus ? train ?

Garh Palace
Castles, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Chitrashala - Ummed Mahal
Castles, Sacred & Religious Sites
Taragarh Fort
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Bundi - questions

Mid March the weather will be fine, warm but not extreme. I'm not a frequent road user in Rajasthan so I'll let other advise, but my limitied experiences points to good roads, but Bundi is a looong drive from Delhi.

Trains are a good option too, many trains transit through Kota which is just 20 miles shy of Bundi.

Bundi is a nice place, but it's still a fairly busy town away from the old walled city. The Rani Ki stepwell is superb and the twin stepwells, chatri are great too. The fort is well worth a vist and the old town with it's traditional bazaars and kite shops (a big industry here) lend a nice atmosphere to the place.

If you don't go here then Orchha from my to do list is IMHO even better....

As it has the added dimension of sal forest and the river Betwa.

Edited: 03 January 2010, 19:27
Mentioned in this post
Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Bundi - questions

Bundi

http://tinyurl.com/ybvthdk

Orchha

http://tinyurl.com/ya6e3wo

Florida Keys
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Bundi - questions

Thanks Cyberhippie for the prompt response re: travel to Bundi from Delhi ! I am an independent traveller ( mostly Europe ) and love the flexibility of having my own car. It's my first time to India and even though I will be travelling with a friend from Delhi, maybe it's best to take a train ?

What's your general opinion on this ?

I will look again at Orchha. May get back with you soon !

Edited: 03 January 2010, 19:42
Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,659 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Bundi - questions

march is not bad to visit Bundi. ..... CH advised you very much right it is my fav.. city . it is long drive from delhi to bundi . can stop at jaipur and next day drive to Bundi. roads are good(indian standard)

you can catch train from Nizamudin Railway station at delhi. there are many train to Kota and it is only 30 Km from kota

you can spend whole day in Bundi. walking around.

donot mis to see the cenotophs.

step wells of Bundi, 64 pillar centoph, Palace and lakes are attraction of bundi. very few tourist are visiting bundi

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,659 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Bundi - questions

after all advise from ta experts. I hope you have visited Bundi . if you wold let us know your view about bundi ??

i love that city som much and would like to be there every year at least once only one problem is that there are not much option about accomodation.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Bundi - questions

Anyone knows more about the Mesolithic cave paintings found there and whether they are accessible to tourists?

St-lambert
Level Contributor
949 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Bundi - questions

Hello

I have did the reversion direction, Bundi to Delhi. So Delhi to Jaipur is a highway two lanes on each side, but again very busy, then Jaipur to Bundi is a twolane road, one on each direction, again very busy. Expect to do Delhi Jaipur 4 hrs and Jaipur Bundi 4 hrs, feasable in on day, prepare to be long one.Much better to break it in Jaipur. Bundi on day one night is enought.

Question why Bundi ?

Mentioned in this post
Jaipur
Jaipur
Jaipur District, India
New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Bundi - questions

Yes ! They are accessible to the tourists, but there is no tourist infrastructure there.

Best way is to contact their discoverer Om Prakash Sharma who is an elderly man. He has found out these caves and he knows a lot about the area.

Nearby there is an ancient Shiva Temple also.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Bundi - questions

Oh ! Forgot to mention, my previous post is about the Cave Paintings at Garadha.

Mentioned in this post
Cave Paintings
Cave Paintings
148 Reviews
Bundi, India
Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Bundi - questions

Thank you. Saving these posts.