We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rameshwaram Kanyakumari Madurai Kodai

Which Rameswaram hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
2 posts
Save Topic
Rameshwaram Kanyakumari Madurai Kodai

I am flying down from Mumbai to Madurai with my wife on 23rd November and flying back on 30th November.I would be booking a car for the trip Airport Pickup to Airport drop with sightseeing.I wish to do Kodai last for rest.How shd i plan the trip? Directly Madurai Airport ( arrival 1pm) to Kanyakumari 2 nights in Kanyakumari, then to Rameshwaram 1 night then Madurai 1 night and 3 nights at Kodai....i thought this might be better so as to avoid reaching Rameshwaram Temple on a Sunday when it might be packed....on which days and times are there crowds and when is best day/time for Darshan......Is 1 night enough or wd it be too rushed?

Or shd I go first spend 1 night at Madurai then go to Rameshwaram 1 night then Kanyakumari ( either 1 night or 2 nights as may not reach in time for sunset) then to Kodai....

pl advice...also how to arrange for Darshan

Thanks Sandeep

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rameshwaram Kanyakumari Madurai Kodai

Hi Sandeep,

Welcome to Trip Advisor....

Your plan seems quite fine and should be okay. Head straight to Kanyakumari for the sunset and two nights at Kanyakumari. Only suggestion I have as regards to your itinerary is that, you may consider doing Kodaikanal before Madurai, as it will be more relaxing as you need not travel all the way from Kodai to the Airport and that too in this rainy season. I understand you are travelling a little longer or passing Madurai, but I personally feel so.

Temples do not get crowded on Sunday but it depends on the start or thithi of that particular day. Rameswaram would be crowded on Ammavasya and similar days as Rameswaram attracts only the specific pilgrimage crowd and not the general weekend tourists(mostly) unlike a Kanyakumari or Madurai. There is no necessity to arrange darshans, as you have queues and also special darshan counters in all these temples, which you can follow as per your choice.

Feel free to revert for any further clarifications...

Regards

Prasanna

Mumbai (Bombay...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rameshwaram Kanyakumari Madurai Kodai

Thanks,Prasanna. You mentioned that its the rainy season then, so shd we go ahead with Kanyakumari...and is it worth travelling all the way to Kanyakumari despite the rains? does the ferry operate... it wd be cloudy and sunrise sunset may not be as expected....also are 2 nights needed at Kanya?

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rameshwaram Kanyakumari Madurai Kodai

Rains should not be a major cause for concern for this plan, as the rains are not very regular and depends on the day, but sun rise and sun set might not be affected much. Operation of the ferry depends on the sea condition.

Now, 2 night for Kanyakumari?? Effectively, you are spending only a day in Kanyakumari. It all depends on what you intend to do there. If it is only Kanyakumari, it requires hardly half a day. You would see the sun set on the day of arrival and the sun rise the next day morning, after which you can visit the Vivekananda Rock, Thiruvalluvar Statue and may be the memorials and the temple. A little time for lunch and window shopping and KK is done. After this you may either plan to leave for Rameswaram or stay put if you have any other plans. It is definitely worth travelling (my personal opinion), as the feeling of being in the tip of the world is unique but again, subjective to every person. So, it all depends on your preferences and interests.

Regards

Prasanna

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
15 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rameshwaram Kanyakumari Madurai Kodai

Hello BVS Prasanna Ji,

I am taking a Bangalore-Madurai-Rameshwaram-KK-Bangalore trip on Dec. 20 with family. Bangalore-Madurai-Rameshwaram section does not have many options, however, I am not sure about best route for Rameshwaram-KK section. Someone has advised me Ramanathapuram - Paramakudi - Arrupukottai - Sattur - Kovilpatti - Tirunelveli - Nanguneri - Vattakotai - Kanyakumar. This seems longer. Please let me know your advise.

Regards

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rameshwaram Kanyakumari Madurai Kodai

I would suggest you to follow the ECR. The shortest route would be Keelakarai - Sayalgudi - Ottapidaram - Tirunelveli - Valliyur - Anjugramam - Kanyakumari. You need not have to go to Paramakudi or Aruppukottai to reach Kovilpatti and Kovilpatti also need not be touched. The one you are referring to would be very long.

Edited: 25 November 2013, 11:26
6. Re: Rameshwaram Kanyakumari Madurai Kodai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 06:20