We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ayutthaya day trip on your own.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
9 reviews
3 helpful votes
Ayutthaya day trip on your own.
Save

Hello,

My hubby & I are travelling to Bangkok later this year and would like to visit Ayutthaya Ruins on a day trip, is it easy enough to do by train & what is the best station in Bangkok to leave from?

When you arrive at the train station in Ayuttaya how do you get to the ruins, also I have seen you an get a boat back to Bangkok whereabouts do you catch the boat.

Apart from the ruins what else is there to see that easily accessible if we do the trip ourselves.

I normally do my own research on places we like to visit but there is so much different information it gets confusing.

TIA

8 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
750 posts
38 reviews
26 helpful votes
1. Re: Ayutthaya day trip on your own.
Save

Yes easy enough by train check schedules here https://www.railway.co.th/Station/StationList

There were/expect are tour companies/tuck tucks that offer various tours.

We just picked what suited our budget to see the main sights.

For the return trip we took train so I can't help with other options.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
45 reviews
41 helpful votes
2. Re: Ayutthaya day trip on your own.
Save

All you will need to know

https://www.thaitrainguide.com/2023/07/02/exploring-ayutthaya-a-day-trip-from-bangkok/

Swansea County...
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
1 review
3. Re: Ayutthaya day trip on your own.
Save

We have stayed in Ayutthaya for a few nights, and also visited as a day trip. To be honest, I think I preferred the day trip! We booked a tour online and it was a great day. Up by coach, stopping at the summer palace , Bang Pa On- we rented a golf buggy here and whizzed around! Then on to A and stops at a few temples, and then joined a boat back to Bangkok, meal on board. Loved it. Called something like River Sun Cruises(?)

No idea how, or if, you can join the boat independently.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
998 posts
23 reviews
28 helpful votes
4. Re: Ayutthaya day trip on your own.
Save

We just did this last week. Go to the Bang Sue train station. Take the next train north. At Ayutthaya there will be tuktuks that will take you on a tour. When you return to the train station, take the next train south. Don't expect air conditioning.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Cambodia, Burundi, Malawi, Rwanda
Level Contributor
13,658 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Ayutthaya day trip on your own.
Save

Don't just turn up at the station and get the next train that is a recipe for disappointment. Look up the train times (both Northern and North Eastern lines

https://www.thaitrainguide.com/timetables/

Note that the slow local trains leave from Hualampong and are fine for short distances like this and the expresses and rapids leave from Krung Thep Aphiwat Central Terminal

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
58 reviews
25 helpful votes
6. Re: Ayutthaya day trip on your own.
Save

Hi, we have just visited both Ayutthaya and Sukhothai. We spent 4 days at A and 3 at S and for us S was better for access to sites.

At A you can walk 100m from the station down to the little ferry (on demand (10B ea) at get over the the main sites from there.

For S it is best to get a big bus all the way rather than train songthaew bus combo (we did that and not rec tbh) we stayed with Sano at Sano House in the old area and she is sweet and her sister does carving.

A lovely part of the world for sure. Ps in Pai now and that is pretty special too.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
22,983 posts
142 reviews
71 helpful votes
7. Re: Ayutthaya day trip on your own.
Save

#4 do you mean Bang Sue or the new station?

It depends what train you want to catch. We take the 3rd class which are fine but some may want 2nd class AC. If staying near Hualampong, then go from there.

It is easy to do by train.

If it is flooded like last October, the boat across tge river may not be running. Best to gake a tuktuk then to the ruins.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
998 posts
23 reviews
28 helpful votes
8. Re: Ayutthaya day trip on your own.
Save

The new (Krung Thep) station clerks will present you with options and sell you the tickets. At the hour we arrived, the best choice was a "slow" train that stopped at the outdoor station (Bang Sue.) All we had to do was walk out of the new building and across the street and tracks.

The "slow" train now proceeds on the new elevated tracks and is nowhere near as annoying as it was a decade ago. And we found it running a few minutes ahead of schedule at each stop along the way.

Reply to: Ayutthaya day trip on your own.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.