We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to see Ayutthaya for a day trip from Bangkok

1 post
1 review
Best way to see Ayutthaya for a day trip from Bangkok
Save

Hi there,

I'm looking for advice on getting to Ayutthaya from Bangkok for a day trip. I have a young family so we're up for seeing a few of the sights - not a long tour including everything. The train looks like a good option and then a tuk tuk from there. Would you agree? Do I need to book train tickets in advance? Thanks for any advice!

6 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
255 reviews
150 helpful votes
1. Re: Best way to see Ayutthaya for a day trip from Bangkok
Save

The train is a good option if your family is up for it. You'd likely need to book ahead if you want a second class ticket, i.e. air-conditioned. It's about 1.5 hours. There will be plenty of tuk-tuks by the train station in Ayuthaya offering tours.

An alternative would be to hire a minivan for the day. Most of the drivers can map out a route of the most interesting/popular temples. Or you can dictate your own route. Your hotel can likely recommend a driver.

München
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Best way to see Ayutthaya for a day trip from Bangkok
Save

I did it the way you described it. I bought the train ticket at the rail station without air condition. It cost like $4. There were a lot of Tuktuk drivers already waiting for us and I choose one. It took us 3-4 hours to see the major points and it was absolutely amazing.

California
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
420 reviews
114 helpful votes
3. Re: Best way to see Ayutthaya for a day trip from Bangkok
Save

I took the train (did not buy in advance). hired a tuk tuk at the station for the day. it was fabulous.

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Best way to see Ayutthaya for a day trip from Bangkok
Save

Thank you. How much was the tuktuk?

Chonburi, Thailand
Level Contributor
8,650 posts
33 reviews
50 helpful votes
5. Re: Best way to see Ayutthaya for a day trip from Bangkok
Save

I'd make sure I did a boat trip around the city.

If you add on a night you could take a boat up from BKK.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Cambodia, Burundi, Malawi, Rwanda
Level Contributor
13,658 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Best way to see Ayutthaya for a day trip from Bangkok
Save

#1 second class on most of the trains you would use for a day trip will not have a/c only the express diesel rail cars will

IF traveling on the express diesel rail cars i would book in advance but for any other train no need to book just turn up. Note the ordinary slow trains still leave from Hualampong but the rapids and express leave from the new station

Ordinary 3rd class trains will cost half a $

Reply to: Best way to see Ayutthaya for a day trip from Bangkok
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.