We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ayutthaya to Bangkok: Mini van or train?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Ayutthaya to Bangkok: Mini van or train?

My girlfriend and I will be traveling from Ayutthaya back to Bangkok on a Tuesday morning at the beginning of June, with the plan to go straight to the airport for a flight.

Which is the safer bet with reliability between the train and the minivans?

How long does each route take to get from Ayutthaya to Bangkok?

How early do the vans start running in the morning? (And where would we catch the mini vans in Ayutthaya?)

I'm thinking our flight will be around noon on Tuesday out of Bangkok, so we would like to get into Bangkok by around 9:30am. Suggestions as to when we should leave Ayutthaya?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Ayutthaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
64 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ayutthaya to Bangkok: Mini van or train?

1. You can to take a van from Ayutthaya (near Chao Phrom Market) to Bangkok (Victory Monument) and from there the BTS (Skytrain - Sukhumvit Line) to Phaya Thai Station. From Phaya Thai Station you take the Airport Rail Link to the airport (City line - 6 stops - 30 Min) or the Phaya Thai Express line (17 Min). Travel time to Bangkok (Victory Monument) - 1 Hr 15 Min, depending on the driver [sometimes you have a F1 pilot/kamikaze (*)] and the traffic.

(*) In this case make a prayer.

2. I would not recommend the train, as there are sometimes serious delays, but on the other side it happens the train is on schedule; but you know Murphy's Law. Anyway if you prefer the train, get off at Bang Sue Railway Station and take the MRT to Mo Chit Station. At Mo Chit Station you take the BTS Skytrain to Phya Thai Station and from there the Airport Rail Link to the airport (see above); Or you continue on the MRT to Phetchaburi Station and walk (5 Min) to the opposite Makkasan Station (City Air Terminal) to take the Airport Rail Link (Makassan express line).

There exists also a possibility to take the train from Ayutthaya to Don Mueang Railway Station and take the free Airport Shuttle Bus from Don Mueang Airport (1st Floor) to Suvarnaphum Airport. Don Mueang Railway Station is just opposite the airport. Time tables here: suvarnabhumiairport.com/to_from_don_mueang_e…

Train time tables: www.railway.co.th/home/Default.asp…

3. If you do not like all the hassle above, just book a taxi to the airport at any travel office in Ayutthaya. Cost 1500 Baht - takes 3 persons [Info TourwithThai.com]. Travel time a bit more than an hour.

As the demand is low, there are no vans going straight from Ayutthaya to the airport.

Hope I have answered more or less your questions.

Enjoy your stay in Ayutthaya.

www.ayutthaya-history.com

Ayutthaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
868 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ayutthaya to Bangkok: Mini van or train?

Just to fill in the gaps: the minivans leave from Naresuan Rd., on the block just to the west of Khlong Makram Riang Road on the south side of the road. They start very early, so won't be a problem. However, I would suggest you aim to get to Bangkok earlier than 9:30 a.m. since the trip from Victory Monument to the airport could take an hour and a half or longer. You might also consider doing the leg from Victory Monument to the airport by taxi - particularly if you have a lot of luggage. (That said, if you have a lot of luggage you shouldn't be using the minivan.)

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ayutthaya to Bangkok: Mini van or train?

You can also get a big bus to Don Mueang, and then a taxi to Suvarnaphum Airport.

The big buses run hourly during the day from Ayutthaya to Don Mueang, and as opposed to the train depart on schedule. Cost to Don Mueang by bus is 43 bahts.

I like train travel in Thailand too, but not if I've got an important fixed-time date at the other end!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ayutthaya to Bangkok: Mini van or train?

Thank you for all the advice!

In the end we may end up just booking a taxi, since that seems to be the easiest option, but we're keeping the minivan option out there, too, just in case.

Your feedback is MUCH appreciated!

Palu
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Ayutthaya to Bangkok: Mini van or train?

Where can we found the big bus to don mueang?

Auckland
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ayutthaya to Bangkok: Mini van or train?

I'm bringing a group of 45 people to Ayutthaya in November. I will be hiring a bus (9400 Bath/full day) to take us from Bangkok to Ayutthaya and return. Could you suggest a tour for us , including a clean and reasonably priced restaurant for lunch? The people going on the tour are professors . Thanks very much.

Ayutthaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
868 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ayutthaya to Bangkok: Mini van or train?

Edna

When you say "suggest a tour", do you mean suggest a tour company to plan the trip and provide a guide? Or do you mean suggest sites to be visited? If the latter, then I've already posted several itineraries on this forum (as have others).

The professors, what nationality will they be? That might influence where best to eat? (If they're Japanese, Portuguese or from Moslem country it might also influence what to see.) And what subject(s) (which might influence where you want to visit)?

45 people for lunch is going to stretch most restaurants in town. Sai Thong could probably handle that number. (I've seen them handle groups of about 35 before.) Be aware, though, that Thai people are happy to eat lukewarm food, and some of what you'll be served there will have been cooked before you arrive. Alternatively, a restaurant buffet in one of the big hotels would work. Krung Sri River would be my first choice there. The buffet includes a variety of Thai and Western foods plus a few Japanese dishes.

Auckland
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ayutthaya to Bangkok: Mini van or train?

I meant an itenary- sites to be visited - using only the bus. we don't to do any boat ride. I will follow your suggested proposal foir the morning tour. - Historical Park(Wat Maha That, Wat Racha Burana, Wat Phra Ram, Wat Sri Sanphet, Wat Mongkhon Bophit). Start at Maha That and just walk the sites.

Then have lunch at Krung Sri River ( is it far from the city island?) . For the afternoon, can you suggest where we can go? The professors are coming mostly from Europe, Australia, US and South Africa. I checked the buffet lunchm it is 280 Thai Bath.

Help is also needed in choosing the double-decker bus to rent. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ayutthaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
868 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ayutthaya to Bangkok: Mini van or train?

I hope that itinerary isn't one of mine. Most people would be bored rigid less than half way through it.

For me, an "Ayutthaya greatest hits" itinerary would include (i) an active temple, (ii) a couple of ruined temples in different styles, (iii) a big bronze Buddha figure, (iv) a reclining Buddha figure, (v) some Ayutthaya gold.

I would suggest:

- Wat Yai Chai Mongkol (active temple, attractive cloister of robed Buddha figures, small reclining Buddha)

- Wat Phananchoeng (active temple, enormous bronze Buddha figure at rear of main hall, Thai-Chinese in style)

- Wat Mahathat (large ruin with famous Buddha figure head in tree roots)

- The National Museum. (That's the one on Rojana road. Gold relics upstairs at one end of the main building.)

- Wat Chai Wattanaram (Khmer-style ruin - probably the most impressive temple of them all in Ayutthaya - end on a highlight)

You could replace Wat Yai Chai Mongkol with Wat Na Phra Meru (but I wouldn't), and Wat MahaThat with Wat Rajburana. You could also add in Wat Lokayasutharam if you want a large reclining Buddha figure.

If you want some souvenir shopping, add in the market next to Worawihan Mongkolbophitr.

You might also consider tacking on the Golden Mount at the end. The view from the top at dusk across the central plain is quite magical, but that might just be for me.

I think coach parking should be OK at all these places, except the National Museum, where the coach will need to drop people off outside. Not sure, though, whether a coach can navigate the rather narrow, steep car park entrance to Wat Chai Wattanaram.

This is less than a full day, so I'd suggest you start your trip with an hour stop at the royal summer palace at Bang Pa-In - it's sort of on your way from Bangkok. Then take in the first two temples before lunch and do the rest after lunch.

Krung Sri River is very close to the island - in fact, it's next to the main bridge on/off the island.

Have you considered making a set of notes about Ayutthaya and its temples to give to your visitors? If you aren't employing a tour guide the temples won't make much sense on their own. Tricky's site might be a good place to start gathering info. http://www.ayutthaya-history.com/

I don't have much need for renting double decker buses, but you could consider Atipat Tours http://www.atipattour.com/ (Disclaimer: I'm a friend of the family.) However, nobody there speaks much English, and you'd probably be better off getting the bus from a Bangkok-based company than an Ayutthaya-based on.

Auckland
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ayutthaya to Bangkok: Mini van or train?

Thank you. We will follow the itinerary.