We did this trip on 4 March. I was a bit dubious beforehand, having read that for various reasons the train wasn't such a good idea. But being a determined sort of chap that was going to be how we get there.
So here's how it went...
- 0850. Vacated our accommodation (Take a Nap G/H) on Rama IV, and walked to Sam Yan MRT.
- 0910. Arrived at Hualamphong train station.
- Queued for tickets (only 1 person in front of me)..
- I asked for 2 x 3rd Class tickets to Ayutthaya. No problems all. Cost 15 (fifteen) bahts per ticket.
- 0918 tickets issued. Train due to depart at 0925.
- Time for pee, and walked to platform.
- Train hadn't arrived, and there were quite a few waiting.
- 0935, the train arrived. Quite a few carriages, and no problem getting seats opposite each other. The train was clean.
- 0950, train departed.
- 1005. Station stop. The village idiot gets on, and I'm lumbered with him for the duration.
- By the time the train gets to Dom Muang airport there's no seating space, and plenty of people standing. Don Muang isn't a good place to board these trains if you are expecting to get a seat!
- 1150. Train arrives at Ayutthaya.
So simple!!Edited: 08 April 2013, 10:50