We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long beach: Sayang Bungalows or Narima Resort?

sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Long beach: Sayang Bungalows or Narima Resort?

Hello, I am travelling to Koh Lanta for 5 nights between Christmas and New Year Eve with my partner and our baby who will be 18 month old at the time of the trip. I would like to stay on Long Beach since it seems more quiet and less developped than Klong DAo beach. I still haven't decided where to stay thoough and I am hesitating between Sayang Bungalows (looks nice but no pool) and Narima (nice bungalows although the high balconies may be a bit dangerous with a toddler? but looks quite isolated). What do you think?

Cheers

Florence

Ko Lanta, Thailand
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Long beach: Sayang Bungalows or Narima Resort?

Hi

Just want to notice you about the Beach,

Long beach is not quiet as you think depend on resort and location that you take.

Narima resort is locate on Klong Nin beach, absolutely quiet than Long beach.

Cheers,

Koh Lanta, Krabi...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Long beach: Sayang Bungalows or Narima Resort?

Hehehe...I was contemplating writing a reply to this, then thought no, I will let it be....

...but then I saw Jerry's reply....

...I have to agree...Long Beach actually looks more developed than Klong Dao (or any other beach) now.

Just my two cents.

Koh Lanta, Krabi...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Long beach: Sayang Bungalows or Narima Resort?

...at least that's what it looks like driving through on the road side. Especially in the middle "711" area there are a lot of new developments that have sprung up from the beach line up to the mountain area....

....and thankfully most look decent and nice! :-)

sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long beach: Sayang Bungalows or Narima Resort?

Hi guys, thanks for the replies...I have received a quote from Sayang, 2600 baths/night for an Air-con Gardenview Bungalow, has anyone stayed in these bungalows?

As to the location, I have had a look at a Long Beach map and it seems that Sayang is located at the north end of the beach which is the quiet end is that right? Are there still some other restaurants/quiet beach bars where we can walk to with baby?

The main reason for which I have choosen Long Beach is that it's good for swimming all day :)

Any other advice re Sayang or alternative accommodation on LB is welcome!

Thanks

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,865 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long beach: Sayang Bungalows or Narima Resort?

Hi,

To clarify what the two previous posters said, Long Beach is a lot less developed than Klong Dao. There are long stretches of it with no development at all. There is even a public park fronting a stretch of it. There are clusters of resorts, bars and restaurants. Clint (Ancient Realm)is right that there has been some development around the road, but the only bit of this that effects the beach is the big Swedish development that is right at the bottom end and is on the other side of the little rocky outcrop that most people would regard as the end of the beach. As Jerry says though compared to the beaches further south down the island it is developed.

I can't help with accommodation, but Sayang is in one of the developed area so beach bars like Ozone are close by, and the deli / cafe Out to Lunch (the food there was excellent but don't know what it will be like this season as its owners were offering it as a prize in an internet lottery at the end of last season.

Koh Lanta, Krabi...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Long beach: Sayang Bungalows or Narima Resort?

Very true, Doff, as always...

I was mainly talking about "Long beach" as a whole....like someone would talk about "Patong" or "Aonang" or "Kantiang Bay"...

....the developments are spreading deeper and further now in Long Beach...and like I previously said, thankfully they look good, so far.....especially that new glass front white condo (just around the corner on the road to the elephants)...

On the beach side there are stretches of vacant land because of the government park next to Casuarina Resort, and other lands still for sale around Layana. Probably too expensive ;-)

I used to live near Sayang on Long Beach (in those 4 story apartments blocks, across from the road that goes down into Klap A Klum Bar). I would have to say that that is the nicest part of the beach there.

Klong Dao and Long Beach are the main two developed beaches on Koh Lanta. But when we talk about development, we are talking "Koh Lanta style". A building here and there...some rainforest.....trees.....land.....river....water....more rainforest...some more buildings....etc.. The island is not really "developed" at all when compared to other islands and tourist hotspots in Thailand. It is still about 20 years or more behind Phuket, and now probably Samui....;-)

But you gotta admit...it is getting pretty tight down at the end of long beach now near 711...almost like a mini Saladan! mmmmm...made me think of the pizza place....

...Have not been back to Samui for 7 years now. I am really wondering what it is like and might check it out this high season, for a weekend off...I have heard mixed reports so far from guests last year...

Clint.

sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long beach: Sayang Bungalows or Narima Resort?

Hi thanks again. It sounds like I have made the right choice! I will book at Sayang and will checkout the 711 area you are talking about as well. Also what is the best option to visit the island? Can we rent a car there? Cheers :)

Koh Lanta, Krabi...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Long beach: Sayang Bungalows or Narima Resort?

Hello,

It is worth a visit to the end of Long Beach area around 711.....there are plenty of good restaurants to try, and more great new ones open up every year!

Hiring a car is a great way to tour around the island. They come fully insured, and it is much safer for you, if you are not a "semi - experienced" moped/motorbike rider.... ;-)

Sayang bungalows should be able to rent them to you, through a contract rate from the car company. Most resorts can do this. Prices normally start at about 1200 baht for 24 hours (inclusive) for a Suzuki "jeep" manual trans, and go up to over 2000 for your mid range sedans, toyotas etc.

If they cannot, then there is a place in Klong Dao called Lanta Car Rental.

Have fun,

Clint.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,865 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long beach: Sayang Bungalows or Narima Resort?

Take the point Clint, both on referring to the whole area and the (relative) development. Its only 4 years since I first went to Lanta and there have been big changes in that time. Several people who have lived in the area for years tell me that Lanta now is like Samui was 10 to 12 years ago. I'm afraid that I've contributed to the development, together with friends we've built a couple of private apartments behind the Muay Thai stadium near Relax Bay (so I find the 7-11 area handy)

As far car hire, it makes good sense to have some transport so you can explore the island and take advantage of the different things the different areas have to offer, (but bear in mind the island is only 30 kms long and 6 wide - maybe a bike would be a cheaper option - but if you do ride carefully)

Koh Lanta, Krabi...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Long beach: Sayang Bungalows or Narima Resort?

Hello Doff,

I think I know the apartments you are talking about... They look nice also. Job well done. Will you be renting them or selling them?

...I like that mountain area. That is a bit further out than the other long beach area though. Great views up there. The locals call that the "farang hill" don't they? It is like the first major land lot estate area in Lanta.....

The "tight" area that I was referring to was the project area in behind 711. The big one..... You know the one.... ;-)

Cheers,

Clint.