We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Lanta Car Rental

Which Ko Lanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Lanta Car Rental

Does it make sense to rent a car for 8 nights stay in Koh Lanta ? ( I mean: is it safe , enough to see there , not too much hassle with ferry tickets ecc. ?

As we are travelling with 2 small kids ( 11 months and 2 years old ) we thought it would be the best - and cheapest - option to get from/to Krabi airport + getting around during our stay ...

Any advice? Do we really need international driving license or do car rentals accept European Union ones ?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Lanta Car Rental

When you stay at Koh Lanta ?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Lanta Car Rental

Hi,

It makes sense to have some form of transport on Lanta as the island has more than 20 kms of beach on its west coast and each beach has its own character, then you have the little town of Saladan at the north end and the view point and Lanta Old Town on the East Coast. As you have little kids scooters are not an option, though some families hire self-drive tuk tuks, and its not uncommon to see them with a stroller type pram in them.

Driving a car on Lanta is safe, the roads on the island are quiet. You will need an Internal Driving Permit, you might get away with an EU one when hiring, but if you had an accident the lack of an IDP might affect your insurance.

The ferries are not an issue, you just buy a ticket that covers both ferries from a kiosk as you approach the first ferry. If you hire an ordinary car (with normal ground clearance), you need to take care driving on and off the ferry if the tide is very low.

Just to give you an idea, a taxi from Krabi Airport will cost between 2,300 to 2,800 B depending on the type of vehicle and where your resort is on the island

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Lanta Car Rental

Thank You all for replies . We will be staying on Koh Lanta from 14th till 22nd Feb. I've contacted our consulate in Beijing ( where we live ) but they cannot issue IDP and we don't want to risk potential problems You've mentioned . So I guess I will just contact our resort regarding transfer and we may hire tuk tuk on the island - we don't need IDP to do that , do we? Or is it that in case of tuk tuk accident it could be a problem too?

hobart
Level Contributor
53 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Lanta Car Rental

We found out today when we went to rent a tuk tuk that they are not registered and you will not have any insurance cover if you go down this track.

Thwy can also be very dangerous...a family died on one last year apparently when they went over a cliff.

For me, a car sounds safer with a family

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Lanta Car Rental

Hi,

Technically to rent and ride anything with a motor in Thailand you need an IDP, however, the vast majority of people who hire scooters and tuk tuks don't have them. I know most of the Ex-pats on Lanta are riding and driving without IDPs or Thai driving licenses.

I agree tuk tuks can be dangerous as they are not as easy to drive as you may think, most accidents in them however, usually involve driving too fast and then making drastic manoeuvres, ie turning sharply or having to take avoiding action while driving too fast, they can turn over in these situations.

The families who use them on Lanta though usually drive them slowly (they have kids on board) and only potter up and down the main coast road, generally fairly flat and straight, with mainly gentle bends (particularly at the north end) and only one or two sharp bends.

There are none of the major car renters on the island, but if you were going to hire in Krabi or at the Airport why not check whether you would be covered by their insurance with an EU passport and no IDP

6. Re: Koh Lanta Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 21:18