We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice economy beach hut in Koh Lanta

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
408 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Nice economy beach hut in Koh Lanta

Hi,

We'll be travelling to Krabi area late in March and plan to stay for about 10 days before leaving to Koh Phangan. We don't want to bounce around too much and spend our vacation time moving too many times. We want to be in a place that will be a good home base to stay but still do day trips to other places easily. We also don't want a super crowded and touristy beach area, but would like to be walking distance to some small bars/restaurants. From reading Tripadvisor, I think Koh Lanta would be a good choice. Can anyone confirm this or tell me if I'd be better off somewhere else? As for our hotel, here's what we are hoping to find:

-Simple but safe and clean hut preferably on the beach, or close to it as possible

-Budget about 1600-2500 baht per night

-On a nice beach that's good for swimming (snorkeling too would be a bonus)

-Friendly and good service

We've seen many on Tripadvisor that have some nice places for under 2000 baht, but the huts they offer on the beach jump in price to over 3000-5000 baht. Are there any hidden gems that anyone can tell us about? Any input will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Balks

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice economy beach hut in Koh Lanta

Koh Lanta is beautiful, we have stayed in a few hotels there & our favourite by far is Kaw Kwang Resort. It is at the far northern end of Klong Doa beach which is great for swimming plus there is a small reef for snorkelling. Their deluxe beachfront bungalows are lovely and within your budget. The hotel also have a big fantastic infinity pool overlooking the ocean.

Have a look at my link below there are 3 albums of various Koh Lanta photos including heaps of the hotel, grounds and different rooms.

Cathy

http://tinyurl.com/4b4nef9

Mentioned in this post
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Kaw Kwang Beach Resort
Kaw Kwang Beach Resort
301 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
408 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice economy beach hut in Koh Lanta

Thank you for the information. It looks nice. You mentioned in one of your pictures that the road is not safe to walk at night, and there was not much out there. So are there places to walk during the day? A small town, small pubs and restaurants? Or to get anywhere would we need a tricycle or boat ride?

Again, thanks very much!

Balks

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice economy beach hut in Koh Lanta

Kaw Kaweng is a great spot. Street lighting is being installed right along that road now, so may be working soon. The walk into town from there is pleasant and on low tide you can walk on Kaw Kaweng beach into the town. Also you can walk along Klong Dao beach and behind there (go down to Royal Lanta and there is a laneway to the main road) behind there are a few restaurants. But it is easy to get into Saladan where there are good restaurants also. The small reef outside kaw Kaweng has been roped off so the fishing boats cant go in there and the snorkeling is quiet good - but better if you go around the corner into the small bay at Crown Lanta. Best snorkelling is on high tide.

Motorbikes are cheap to rent and offer a great way of seeing the island. That is one of the best options for getting around, and there are plenty of day trip options.Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Royal Lanta Resort and Spa
Royal Lanta Resort and...
395 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Saladan Beach Resort
Saladan Beach Resort
63 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Crown Lanta Resort & Spa
Crown Lanta Resort & Spa
1,663 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
19,636 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice economy beach hut in Koh Lanta

Andaman Bay, one cove further than Relax Bay. Old-style bamboo and palm-leaf beach huts on stilts with shower/toilet for 150 baht. A man called Bao has a few slightly more upscale huts if you head up the beach in the same cove 100 metres in the direction of Relax Bay, and they cost about 600 baht last time I was there. The beach is very nice in that cove, and the glorious sunsets are free of charge. Bao also does candlelight dining on the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Relax Bay Resort
Relax Bay Resort
737 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
408 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice economy beach hut in Koh Lanta

Thanks bill2p

Is there any way to find out more about these places, possibly with pictures? They sound quite interesting. Perhaps if we book a few nights somewhere on arrival then try and find this place. But it would be nice to know more. Does Bao have email contact (I know it's a stretch but I thought I'd ask).?

Any information would be great!

Thanks..

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,636 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice economy beach hut in Koh Lanta

No, you cannot book these sorts of accommodations ahead, as with many choice budget guest houses and beach huts in Thailand. What you see on the internet is generally only the higher-priced stuff. You have to go there and it's first come, first served.

Andaman Bay is well known. Their tout (a member of the family that owns it) may be in the scrum that greets every incoming ferry, and she'll drive you there (in the back of her truck) free of charge. Bao doesn't do much at all to drum up business, so you'd have to find it on your own. Bao has his boat, the Sea Culture (wrecked in the tsunami) pulled up on the beach, and operates an evening beach restaurant right next to it. This is the next thing on the beach after Relax Bay (a big French-owned resort). First comes a headland, then Sea Culture/Bao's bungalows, then Andaman Bay.

http://bit.ly/fumN75

I may be able to dig up an email address, but don't be surprised if they don't answer you. English and computer skills are often in short supply.

I don't think you'd ever have any problem finding accommodation on Lanta, by the way.

Make no mistake: these are bare-bones beach huts. Just a shack on the beach with a mattress, more or less.

Mentioned in this post
Relax Bay Resort
Relax Bay Resort
737 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,636 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice economy beach hut in Koh Lanta

Here are Andaman Bay Bungalows: http://flic.kr/p/9e5kBB

Bao/Sea Culture Bungalows: http://flic.kr/p/9e5oE6

Sea Culture boat (restaurant is next to this): http://flic.kr/p/9e8vNy

Disclaimer: Things change. This was a few years ago now and (ever since I got stuck on Koh Jum) I haven't been back for an update.

Mentioned in this post
Koh Jum Resort
Koh Jum Resort
223 Reviews
Ko Jum, Thailand
Melbourne
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice economy beach hut in Koh Lanta

Hey,

Not sure if it would be too busy for you, but i stayed at Lanta Castaway,

http://www.lantacastaway.com in a Tropical Daze bungalow, which are in your price range, and included breakfast. Super clean palce, with friendly staff. Beach out the front is Ok, but gets better as you walk north a bit. Great place to chill out, or explore the island from. Lots of bars and cafes up the beach

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Lanta Castaway Beach Resort
Lanta Castaway Beach...
743 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
408 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice economy beach hut in Koh Lanta

Thanks you everyone for all this valuable input. We'll look it over and try to make a decision this week.

Thanks again!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
408 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice economy beach hut in Koh Lanta

Hello all..We attempted to book the Thai House after doing some research and based on feedback here, but it was full. So, we chose Lanta Pearl Resort on Long Beach. Looks nice and the TA reviews are all good. Just wondering if anyone can confirm that it's a nice place? Is the location good? Is the beach nice? Are the staff nice people and is it well run? Food? I know the cabana's aren't right on the beach, but for 1500bht per night we can spend some of cash we would have spent at more expensive places to visit other islands etc..

Again, thanks to all for your help!!

Balks

Mentioned in this post
Lanta Pearl Beach Resort
Lanta Pearl Beach Resort
478 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Long Beach
Long Beach
1,845 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand