We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Krabi to Ko Lanta

Which Ko Lanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel from Krabi to Ko Lanta

Hi - Can anyone tell me what the best method of getting to ko lanta is from krabi. We will be spending a couple of nights in Ao Nang and then going to Ko Lanta. I believe there is car ferry via taxi or a ferry - whats the best option and prices guys?

Thanks

Paul

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Krabi to Ko Lanta

Hi,

You have 4 options. You can get a taxi to the Krabi town pier and take the 11.30 ferry to Koh Lanta, trip is about 90 mins and costs 400thb, you can take the later lunchtime ferry from Ao Nang, same price, same journey time. You can take a songtheaw into Krabi town for 50thb and then get a minivan to Saladan in Koh Lanta, 350thb and they run 8-5 on the hour. Or finally you could get a taxi direct from Ao Nahr to Lanta, probably somewhere in the region of 3000thb for that

cheers

london
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Krabi to Ko Lanta

Thanks so much for the information thats perfect, i think the ferry ride seems the way to go do we need to book or wait to we get a krabi a couple of days prior to getting the boat.

Also we need to get a boat to Koh Lipe from ko lanta and then from koh lipe to Langkawi - do you know anything about these routes?

thanks again.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Krabi to Ko Lanta

Hi,

Any travel agent in Ao Nang can sort you out for the ferry and there is nearly always space on the boats so just do it when you get there.

To get to Lipe from Lanta you can take the Tigerline ferry that leaves at 10.30 from Saladin, it stops at most of the Trang islands on the way down and eventually gets to Lipe around 3.30-4pm. Tigerline also carry on to Langkawi from Lipe. There is a faster boat from Lanta, Pak Bara Speedboat and another company I forgot the name of, they leave around 1.30pm and get to Lipe around 4pm, again any travel shop can sort you out with tickets for these boats

cheers

london
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Krabi to Ko Lanta

great thank you - we are staying on long beach is there any places you would reccomend eating and drinking?

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,333 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Krabi to Ko Lanta

Hi again,

Great choice, it's full of good places to eat, I quite like Funky Fish and Black Cat on the beach, on the main road there are quite a few decent cheap Thai places at the north end and the southern part of this road as it gets towards Relax bay is choc full of good places, Red Snapper's worth a look, but there are loads of good ones. It's also very easy to get a tut tut into Saladan and try some of the seafood places there for a change

cheers.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Krabi to Ko Lanta

cant you get a private speedboat as well ? Obviously it costs more than the ferry but if we had known about it we would definately have taken it.

The ferry actually took over 3 hours of us - they told us to board at 11, it didnt end up leaving until 12, stopped off at Railay and finally got to Lanta around 2.30.

In Lanta there are signs everywhere for 'private speedboat' transfer so it must go in both directions....

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Krabi to Ko Lanta

Hi,

The private speedboat transfer I have seen prices for is around 20,000 B for up to 5 passengers, plus extra for pick-up drop off at the beaches, eg 500B for Klong Dao, 1,000 for Long Beach, 2,000 for Klong Nin and 3,000 for Kantieng Bay.

Compared to around 650 B pp on the ferry,

BTW last time I took the ferry back from Ao Nang it also took nearer 3 hours than the advertised 2.

Lichfield, England
Level Contributor
472 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Krabi to Ko Lanta

www.amazinglanta.com - speedboat from Saladan then mini van to the airport -1950B per person.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,325 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Krabi to Ko Lanta

The speedboat transfer I referred to in post #7 is also Amazing Lanta,

For clarity they offer 3 services

the one I mentioned above, which is presumably the option 40ish was referring to as an alternative to the passenger ferry between Krabi Town or Ao Nang. It is private and is direct between Saladan and either Krabi Town, Railey or Ao Nang hence the cost.

the one Kate refers to is to Krabi Airport (so not really relevant to the OP). It is a shared service involving van between resort and Saladan, speedboat between Saladan and first car ferry jetty, minivan between jetty and airport

the third option is also shared and involves minivan between Ao Nang and first car ferry jetty, speedboat to Saladan, van to resort, so is an alternative for the OP.

10. Re: Travel from Krabi to Ko Lanta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2012, 05:18