We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Krabi airport to Koh Lanta

Benidorm, Spain
Level Contributor
20 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Krabi airport to Koh Lanta

Hi

Can anyone help, i dont know what to do? What is the best and cheapest way to travel from Krabi airport to Koh Lanta?

I have read a few reviews and got some prices for a speed boat transfer or a mini van transfer from the airport but these seem to cost approx £100+, i read that you can get a taxi into krabi town then find somewhere there to get a van to the ferry, then ferry over? Is this simple? is it easy to find the place in Krabi town? is this much more cost efficient and a bit more of an adventure? or positively scary and time consuming?

Help?? first time in Thailand, confused.com

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Airport
Krabi Airport
Krabi Town, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Luxury Sunset Cruise Along the...
1 Review
US$70 per adult
Free Cancellation
Full-day Island Hopping Trip from Ko...
6 Reviews
US$40 per adult
Free Cancellation
4 Island Snorkel Tour to Emerald Cave...
US$62 per adult
Free Cancellation
419 replies to this topic
lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,446 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Krabi airport to Koh Lanta

Hi,

the cheapest way would be to get the hourly minvan that runs from Krabi town to Koh Lanta for 350thb, if you have somewhere to stay on Lanta you can ask them to arrange for the van to pick you up at the airport on the way past, or you can take the shuttle bus into the town and get the van from there. Taxi's are plentiful at the airport and there's both an information desk and a transport desk who can help you with transfers. A taxi direct to Lanta costs from 2200-2800thb. There is a ferry to Lanta from Krabi town pier, it leaves at 11.30 and costs 400thb, so if you are on one of the early flights, you can take a taxi to the pier and catch the boat. It is very easy to get to Lanta and not scary at all, people will point you in the right direction. I don't know anything about the speed boat transfers other than they are expensive and only part of the journey is by boat, with the bulk of the trip in a car/van

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,323 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Krabi airport to Koh Lanta

Hi,

If you have already booked accommodation you can ask the resort to book you on the public minivan / minibus for pick up from the airport. The van is usually at the airport between quarter past and half past the hour and the last one leaves Krabi Town at 17.00. It costs 300 B

If you cannot get your resort to book you on the van you need to catch the shuttle into Krabi Town then catch the van. (the van only calls at the airport for pre-booked passengers). Seem to remember the shuttle is 50 B, and the van is 350 from Krabi Town.

Edit: Snap! Paolo

Alternatively you can get a taxi from the airport to Lanta, it will cost around 2,300 to 2,800 B depending on where about on the island you want to go and the type of vehicle. The journey takes around 2 hours

(The speedboat option takes you to the first car ferry jetty in a minivan, then the speedboat takes you to Saladan and another van to your resort - it cost a lot more and saves you somehere around 30 minutes)

Edited: 01 February 2011, 09:12
Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Saladan Beach Resort
Saladan Beach Resort
63 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,323 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Krabi airport to Koh Lanta

Oops! How did that edit end up in the middle it was supposed to be at the bottom

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Krabi airport to Koh Lanta

let me know how ya get on as me and the wife are doing the same journey from krabi to lanta in few weeks time.

many thanks

Melbourne
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Krabi airport to Koh Lanta

Not sure if this helps, but I stayed at Lanta Castaway in Jan 2011, and a minibus from there to Krabi airport cost me 250 B and took about 90 mins

Mentioned in this post
Lanta Castaway Beach Resort
Lanta Castaway Beach...
743 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Krabi Airport
Krabi Airport
Krabi Town, Thailand
Paris
Level Contributor
9 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Krabi airport to Koh Lanta

I nearly took with my family the mini van transfer from our hotel in Koh Lanta back to Krabi airport. Because our hotel was the last pick up to the airport, we were told to sit at the back of the driver seat which was literally on someone else legs. We booked it in advance, 4 days in advance and when the van arrived there were no more seats left because the driver had picked some other guests who did not book. After some arguments, we were kicked out from the van. The hotel told us the van transfer was really unreliable. We ended up taking a private car to the Krabi airport for 2100 Baths. When we arrived, it took us 120mn because of the 2 car ferries. I saw at the airport a counter for the mini van transfer. Arrive early at the airport and before 5pm otherwise no more mini van and its First Come, First Serve every hour. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Krabi Airport
Krabi Airport
Krabi Town, Thailand
London
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Krabi airport to Koh Lanta

Hi guys

I have the same problem - our fligths gets to Krabi at 15:35 but our hotel says that the only option is the get prebooked taxi for 2500 THB as the arrival is too late.

Is there any cheaper option of transfer after 15:30?

Many thanks for any advice.

M x

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Krabi airport to Koh Lanta

Hi,

I'm flying into Krabi at 11.40am in April and hoping I can catch one of these minibuses as opposed to hiring a private minibus for over 2000 baht! I will call my resort this weekend and update you on what they say.

Ne201

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,323 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Krabi airport to Koh Lanta

MiraH,

the last public minivan leaves Krabi Town at 5 pm, your resort should be able to book you on that so it picks you up at the airport at 5.15 to 5.30, presumably they do not want to for some reason. Maybe they still think the last van is at 3 pm (it used to be).There would even be a chance of them booking you on the 4 pm van, but i could understand why they might not want to do as it could be tight, my friends who book the van for me always recommend going for the next van just to be safe. But even without their help arriving at 15.35 you should have plenty of time to get the shuttle into Krabi town and catch the 5 pm van

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Krabi airport to Koh Lanta

You really 'take your chances' with the 'public' minivan. I may have just been unlucky, but last August I was told the taxi wicket at KVB would call and ask the next van to stop by the airport on its way to Koh Lanta. They would not.

I had to take the bus into Krabi Town (90 baht) to get the minivan (350 baht). They crammed sixteen people into the nine-passenger van (plus luggage and parcels to be delivered along the way). It took three hours... and was THE TRIP FROM HELL!

I glady paid a small fortune (2500 baht) to my hotel (Crown Lanta) for a private transfer back to the airport.

I'm coming back this August and staying at the Layana. Their transfers are 1600 baht... sweet! There's NO WAY I'm taking the public minivan.

Mentioned in this post
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Crown Lanta Resort & Spa
Crown Lanta Resort & Spa
1,663 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand