We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

Which Ko Lanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbounre
13 posts
Save Topic
Ko Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

I am travelling with my partner to thailand in the first two weeks of august this year.. Thus far we are heading from bangkok to Railay for 3 nights then want to head to either phi phi or lanta for the remainder of our trip.. 8 nights...

I just wanted to get advice on which island offers more. I guess we like peace and relaxing but also like the option to have things to explore... and not big parties but we enjoy the odd drink with locals/other travellers... I've heard phi phi is very spectacular...but finding decent accomodation there seems somewhat difficult. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jersey
Level Contributor
280 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

We went to both Koh Phi Phi and Koh Lanta in February, I think you will find a lot of the bungalow establishments and tourist stuff close down from about May until beginning of October in Koh Lanta, you would need to check to confirm this. Phi Phi is a beautiful place but mass tourism in my opinion as scared these beautiful islands, we stayed for 1 night on Phi Phi, just to busy, drunken young back packers on every small street in the village, long tail boats litter the main beaches and the ferry terminal is like a refuge camp in the mornings and late afternoons with the thousands of day trippers invading the island. We spent 5 fantastic nights in Koh Lanta, staying at the Bananahome (ranked @1 on tripadvisor). Koh Lanta reminds me of how Thailand used to be 20 years ago before the package holiday makers arrived, deserted beaches, little chilled beach bars and cheap restaurants. Another place similar to Koh Lanta is Koh Chang on the other side of the country, near the Cambodia border, they say this place will be like Koh Samui is now so you got to visit before it does end up overcrowded and over priced. To conclude Phi Phi for a day trip or one night, Lanta for longer

Jersey
Level Contributor
280 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

Just to add, I am not sure if visting this part of Thaialnd in August is a great idea, Maybe the islands around Koh Sumi would be a better bet, weather wise, my brother visited Krabi and Jum Island last July and ended up leaving for Samui, as the rain and wind was so bad. Then again you might be lucky with the weather and have these Islands virtually to yourself.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
658 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

I agree w/ the previous post on both accounts. August is green or rainy season; choose a different destination unless you're OK w/ rain! (Seasons are rather regional so the east cost of the peninsula is OK in August, but sure, there are good days and sunshine in August in Krabi as well, on average, and who knows what the weather will actually be like anyway...)

PP is stunningly beautiful but crowded; stay clear of the main village Tonsai unless you like the company of drunk backpackers and load music until 5 am. There are alternative destinations on PP, like Long Beach, but yes, it is expensive. You can go there on a daytrip from Lanta and check it out; the speedboat only takes 30-40 minutes. Daytrips hit the most popular spots at the buziest times to they don't really do PP justice (well, not that buzy in August!). Lanta is very different; less stunning nature but very "uncrowded", deserted even in August except the main village Saladan. How about Ao Nang/Railey if you don't want to go to the other side of the peninsula?

Edited: 14 June 2011, 19:02
Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ko Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

Most people like to see Phi Phi and tick it off the list. I have not meet many who prefer it over Lanta though. There are still plenty of accommodation options on Lanta through low season - although there will not be many others if any with you at the resort. The prices are good too.The island in low season is more like a true thai town - the locals just getting on with their daily life. There are a few restaurants open on each beach, but the nightlife is very quiet. If you like deserted beaches this is great. The sea will still be rough in August - but fun for surfing. Also elephant treking, waterfall and cave tours operating. Old town is mostly open too.

Saladan is actually pretty quiet so you are best to have a motorbike to keep your options open and trip around the various spots.

Kaw kaweng at the north of Klong dao and Kantiang bay are the best beach options for swimming at this time.

Gavle, Sweden
Level Contributor
645 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ko Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

Hi Negb;

In short terms - we just loved Koh Lanta but will not go back to Phi Phi ... On Koh Lanta we stayed at both Long Beach and Klong Dao and we preferred Long Beach, even if the tuc tuc ride to Saladan is a bit longer.

When it comes to Phi Phi I feel a little like the poster above put it - it was mostly "to tick it off the list".

/sun

Woolgoolga...
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ko Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

we are the opposite ,after staying at Phi Phi ,in a quieter area at popular bungalows [no drunks ] we found lanta to be very unatractive ,phi phi is stunning, maybe best in low season

San Diego...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ko Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

cb1SandyBeach,

Any suggestions on where are the quieter aries at Phi Phi? And any hotel recommendations? Thanks!

Woolgoolga...
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ko Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

Look get a pin close your eyes and aim at thailand ,lol we are on koh Tao now and it is windy overcast and the water choppy ,who knows what the weather will do ! We came her to escape the monsoon in the andaman

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
174 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ko Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

Im with most on here , Lanta beats phi phi hands down . Phi Phi is nice but past its use by date I feel.

Eastbourne
Level Contributor
32 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ko Phi Phi or Ko Lanta?

is there a lot to do in the evenings in koh lanta. Thinking of staying at Long Beach Chalets.

Tracey