We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking on Ko Lanta?

Which Ko Lanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking on Ko Lanta?

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Ko Lanta and would like to do some kayaking there.

Has anyone done the kayaking, who did you arrange the kaayaking trip with? did you just rent the kayaks and go or did you have a guide with you?

any specific area you would recommend kayaking at?

thank you

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking on Ko Lanta?

There are about 3 or 4 kayaking companies on Lanta. You can do a mangrove tour, or else go by longtail over to Bubu island, you have a swim, lunch, hang out for a bit on the beach then come back. Most people I have met who have done it complain that there is not enough time in the Kayak, about 35-40 minutes of a half day outing. Also when they go through the mangroves they often feed the monkeys (personally I don't support this). Some resorts in the south have their own kayaks which you can go out on.

If you are at Raily I believe you can also rent a kayak and go on your own. Koh Lanta Watersports on Klong Dao beach also rents kayaks by the hour and you can paddle around Kaw Kaweng head at the north of Klong Dao. Enjoy your trip.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking on Ko Lanta?

thank you for the reply.

if it were your trip, what area would you recommend for kayaking? Are any of the nearby islands east of Ko Lanta worth exploring?

The guidebook mentioned that there are some caves one can visit on kayak, would you have any idea what the names, or more details might be.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking on Ko Lanta?

Hi again. The kayak trip with the caves is the one that goes to Talebeng and Bubu islands, theses are some islands closeby and East of Lanta. They are cliffs and similar in profile to some in Phi Phi.The trip is a day trip and incorporates kayaking through mangroves, feeding monkeys, kayak around the island, explore the cave (which is an open shallow cave) then relax and have lunch on the beach before returning back at around 3pm. As mentioned earlier the kayak component is quite short. You can also rent a kayak direct at Tuyepeng (sorry wrong spelling) village and explore the mangroves selfguided. The kayaks for rent on Klong Dao you can go around the point at Kaw Kaweng, there are a couple of small bays. If the water is clear you can also snorkel there. Or if you want to go longer then head down to Long Beach. This is just costal kayaking.For something different you should try Stand Up Paddle Boarding - it is great and one of the fastest growing sports worldwide - people are doing it everywhere! Hope this helps a bit.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking on Ko Lanta?

Do you think that we could organize a long tail to take us to the island, wait for us while we kayak at our leisure and then take us back. IE we do not care for the organized cookie cutter itinerary with monkey feeding, lunch on the beach and such, we prefer an independent approach where we are in charge of the program.

Would you have any companies recommendations who might be opened to this idea?

Appreciate your help.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking on Ko Lanta?

Hi again, I dont know any longtail companies that you could contact via email to organise this. The longtail drivers we know are locals and dont do the internet. Also not too sure on the price for a longtail 1/2 day rental. I think its about 2500-4000 baht (but that is is stab in the dark) fuel prices are pretty expensive at the moment. I would recommend that you just organise it when you get to Lanta. There is also a place at Old Town who rents Kayaks, not sure but I think they also do Longtail combo. Again I cant remember the name. So dont worry too much, if you ask questions here you will get a dozen wrong answers - then find what you are looking for.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayaking on Ko Lanta?

thank you, this way I know there is at least a possibility to organize it somehow and will wait till Ko Lanta to secure the details.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kayaking on Ko Lanta?

did great kayaking with Freedom adventures, spend few hours around the mangroves and lovely Talibeng island.

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Kayaking on Ko Lanta?

You should try:

Koh Lanta Watersports

Website Here

80-0397-393

More info available on: http://www.funlanta.com/index.php

Santa Cruz...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Kayaking on Ko Lanta?

I agree with aquaholiclanta, Organized kayaking trips are plain disappointing, They include about 45 minutes of kayaking and 2 hours of sleeping on the beach. In addition, our guides spoke almost no English.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kayaking on Ko Lanta?

Boleslav... in 2010, I stayed on Koh Lanta for a week at the "Castaways Resort" midway down the island and I think I remember them having a 4-island tour where you could kayak... and Hong Island comes to mind, but that may not have been with this pkg. You could contact them by email (google "Castaways Resort on Koh Lanta") and see if they can give you any info on this.

Being a kayaker myself, a slight word of caution - if kayaking between islands, the currents can be dangerous in some circumstances, depending on where you are. Keep a heads-up at all times, and don't get too far offshore.