We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Lanta or Railay for 4 days? Please help

Which Ko Lanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Lanta or Railay for 4 days? Please help

My fiance and I trying to decide between Railay or Koh Lanta for 4 days. We will be arriving from Khao Lak, and then heading to Chiang Mai afterwards.

We were originally looking to stay on Phi Phi, but got turned off by some of the comments about how it's overrun with backpackers and overall isn't that special.

We don't do much diving or snorkeling, but would like beautiful surroundings, a great beach, good food, as well as a small town where we can stroll around.

It's also my understanding that we can do day trips from both Lanta and Railay...

Which one of the two would you recommend?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Lanta or Railay for 4 days? Please help

Have you considered Ai Nang?

Small town, plenty of restaurants and bars, excellent location for day trips, one of which could be to Railay Beach.

The downside of saying at Railay is limited dining and very expensive after hours transport if you want to leave the area.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,215 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Lanta or Railay for 4 days? Please help

Admittedly Railey has a beautiful beach framed by spectacular cliffs (when it's not packed by day tripper longtails from Ao Nang), but I've found a few hours there via a long tail from Ao Nang some years ago and a quick stop off from the Ko Lanta / Ao Nang ferry before going on to Ao Nang by longtail, around 3 years ago, enough.

Personal view, i think it would get a bit claustrophobic after more than a night or two, (different if you are a rock climber mind)

On the other hand Lanta has 25 kms of beaches on its western side, I had an apartment there and used to spend months at a time there., I may be biased but I visited Railey and came to my view on it before I ever went to Lanta. Railey certainly has its fans and no doubt they will be along to express their views, diffr'nt strokes for diffr'nt folks

arctica
Level Contributor
927 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Lanta or Railay for 4 days? Please help

Koh Lanta is laidback and relaxing with nice sunsets, viewpoints and clear sea. But going there from Khao Lak is to move from one beach destination to another.

I will recommend Ao Nang instead. Even if it is just another tourist town, it is a very convenient base from where you can daytrip to several great beaches, islands and mainland attractions by boat or car. More than enough to be kept occupied for 4 days. Railey is only 10 minutes away with longtail boat. The famous limestone cliffs in this area are breath taking. Ao Nang Villa and Golden beach Resort are popular beach hotel, centrally located in Ao Nang, and it`s only half an hour to Krabi airport. Koh Lanta is around 2 hrs from the airport.

Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Lanta or Railay for 4 days? Please help

Thank you, this really helps!

5. Re: Koh Lanta or Railay for 4 days? Please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 05:17