We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for 2 bases for 12 days - Koh Lanta and...

Which Ko Lanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for 2 bases for 12 days - Koh Lanta and...

Hi there,

I am visiting Thailand with my husband for our late honeymoon. We are budget travelers looking for a/c accommodations and decent food options. We don't want/need party atmosphere and do not want to be shoulder to shoulder on beaches...but we do want some activity options like massage, kayaking or snorkeling. On Koh Lanta, I thought the orchid nursery farm (anyone been?) and the Khao Mai Kaew Caves sounded interesting. My husband doesn't like to just lay on the beach, but he is happy playing in the water (can you rent body boards?). Would also be interested to know if any suggestions have good surfing spots for novices, and if so, if there are there surfboard rentals.

So we have about 12 days to spend on the islands. I'm wondering if you can recommend a second home base other than Koh Lanta. I've read about Ao Nang, but afraid it might be too busy and without the "I"m on an island" feel. But I've read it's a good base for day trips...so a bit torn there. Are there any thoughts on Ao Nang or suggestions for 2nd base that aren't too expensive? Someone on the forum suggested Koh Jum in a similar query. Target price is $50 USD per night but we're flexible.

Is Phuket worth a day trip of sorts? Phi Phi? Ko Yao Noi? other suggestions? It would be nice to have a balance of activity to peaceful surroundings. And of course there will be lazy days.

I've included our draft itinerary below, but am open to suggestions including moving the Bangkok leg to before the islands if it makes transit sense.

Chiang Mai (5 days?) >islands (12 days?)> bangkok few days...total including travel around 22 days.

Husband drives a motorcycle in nyc so we'd be happy buzzing around on 2 wheels, or bicycles. Do they rent moto helmets with the scooters?

Thank you for any feedback!

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
211 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for 2 bases for 12 days - Koh Lanta and...

Can help a little on Koh Lanta, having just come back.

Motor bikes for hire everywhere with helmets. If you do you can cruise the island and see the old town and light house. We missed seeing these.

We were down at Kantiang bay and the locals were lovely plenty of places to eat and stay. They said even peak season you have plenty of room on the beach. Up around Salandan there is more activities and stuff to rent out.

A 4 island long boat tour is a good day out. We did emerald cave and 2 snorkling sites along with lunch on a nice beach and small resort.

Scubafish and many others run discovery dive days, a great intro to scuba diving for beginners.

Kantiang bay has a small swell so you can body surf the shore break, I did this every day we were there.

I'm sure you can hire a body board in town.

Hope that helps a little

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for 2 bases for 12 days - Koh Lanta and...

Thanks Christopher!

Did you take any other excursions from Koh Lanta besides the 4-island? Did the snorkel trip provide gear? And, did you do your island trip with Scubafish?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for 2 bases for 12 days - Koh Lanta and...

For itinerary, we are now considering:

Siem Reap, Cambodia 5 nights

Chiang Mai 4 nights

Phang Nga town /Koh Ya Noi 3 nights (bases for Ao Phang-nga sea kayak trip and rock climbing)

Koh Lanta 6 nights

Bangkok 3 nights

Currently considering flying to Phuket via Asia Air to get to Phang Nga/Koh Ya Noi...Debating whether we should pick one of those two locations as a base for those activities, or split it up. Also wondering if it is easier to get from Phuket airport to either one, but may need to repost on a different forum :)

4. Re: Looking for 2 bases for 12 days - Koh Lanta and...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 06:21