We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speedboat express transfer from Krabi - Too bumpy?

Which Ko Lanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Speedboat express transfer from Krabi - Too bumpy?

Hi

I've searched the forums and notice most people go by the 2 ferries which takes 2.5 to 3.5 hours. I'm rather keen on the speedboat transfer as I'm arriving at Krabi in the evening and my whole trip is very short, just 2.5 days really so I would like to get to Ko Lanta asap and think the price is worth it.

I gather it takes 1.5 hours. I'm thinking of using the service from pocketlantaguide but my mom is coming along as she's 60+. She has been on speedboats in Maldives etc, some post said it's v bumpy and you can get bruised. Is it that unsafe? I read the speedboat part is only 15mins, is that correct? I know these promotional sites always seem to underestimate the time.

Thanks in advance

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Speedboat express transfer from Krabi - Too bumpy?

Whether it's too bumpy is subject to the sea conditions, which may change daily due to the weather, wind and tides. It may be flat in the morning and bumpy in the afternoon. Often it changes quickly.

Now to your actual problem. The fastest from the airport to Koh Lanta is by car. Buy a taxi ticket inside the arrival hall. The fare is between 2500 to 2800 Baht subject to your final destination and number of people. The taxi will hop on the two ferries between the mainland and bring you safely to your resort. The travel time is between 2-3 hours depending on the waiting time required at the ferry ports. A speedboat from Krabi will cost you 15'000 Baht upwards and still you require a taxi from the airport.

singapore
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Speedboat express transfer from Krabi - Too bumpy?

Hi Klongmuang, thank you for your reply but I saw on pocketguidelanta the car + 15min speedboat transfer (total 1.5hrs and no waiting for ferries) is only 1800bht per person. Are you sure you are talking about the same thing?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,384 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Speedboat express transfer from Krabi - Too bumpy?

Hi Quarian,

The speedboat transfer you are referring to takes you by minivan from Krabi airport to the first car ferry, exactly the same as a taxi and takes typically around an hour. From there you are taken by speedboat round Lanta Noi (Little Lanta) to Saladan on Lanta Yai (Big Lanta). You are then taken by car or minivan from the jetty to your resort. Depending on where on the island your resort is. This could take up to another 30 minutes if your resort is right at the south of the island. You need to add this to the time quoted by Lanta Pocket Guide, When people quote the average time by taxi this is included, because this is what people are interested in they want to know how long to their resort not to the pier in Saladan.

The speedboat saves you the first car ferry (average 15 to 20 minutes), the drive across Lanta Noi (less than 10 minutes and the second ferry to Saladan (typically 15 minutes and cancelled out by the time the speedboat takes). Under normal circumstance the speedboat might save you around 30 minutes, on a good day this might be slightly less, it might be slightly more if you just miss a ferry or on a bad day, if there are big queues for the first ferry some reason (fairly rare in the last 4 or 5 years) it could be more.

So it depends whether you consider the extra expense, 600 or 700 Baht if there are 2 of you around 2,500 B if there are 3 of you and the inconvenience of getting out of the car and switching to a boat, then from the boat to another car is worth what may be a 30 minute saving,

I don't know this particular jetty but getting into boats from many jetties in Thailand can be a bit intimidating for any one with any limitations on mobility. Of course your mother could sit in the comfort of the car for the entire journey from airport to resort if you take the taxi.

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Speedboat express transfer from Krabi - Too bumpy?

"in the evening"...

Take a taxi, don`t be out on a boat in the dark.

singapore
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Speedboat express transfer from Krabi - Too bumpy?

Thanks Doffcocker and JamieWHk. I didn't even realise there was this taxi direct option from airport to resort. It seems speedboat express takes about 1.5 to 2+ hours. Taxi can be 2 hours? And bus+2 ferries is 3 hours or more? It sounds like direct taxi is fastest/most convenient if travelling 2 people or more.

1) Is this from a counter or outside the airport? Any taxi will do or there is a more reliable type?

2) I read it costs 2200 to 2800 bht. Some people mention Kantiang Bay (where Houben and Pimalai are) being in South of island and taking 2 hours whole journey. Is this the furthest costing towards 2800bht? What about resort in Long Beach or Klong Dao? Would these beaches be shorter or longer?

Thanks

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Speedboat express transfer from Krabi - Too bumpy?

There are 2 taxi and 1 bus counter just before the exit of the terminal. You can`t really miss them.

Maybe somebody else can say how their service is, I`ve never used them.

(I`ve heard some reports of "late night fees" for drivers going to Lanta because they have to stay overnight - last ferry is about 10pm)

The bus and taxi take the same 2 car ferries flickr.com/photos/…set-72157634330964687 That little stretch of water is the smaller one of the crossings with Saladan in the background.

Most of the extra time for the bus is dropping people off, if your staying LongBeach or Klong Dao there won`t be much extra time to add. But... as it`s in the evening the buses might already be booked or you might have to wait an hour or two for the next bus (if there is a next bus).

Taxi is the best option as it`ll probably be too dark to be safe for speedboat option and bus might have a wait for a seat.

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Speedboat express transfer from Krabi - Too bumpy?

I have just arrived at Klong Dao beach, yesterday, from Krabi airport, by private taxi at a cost of 2,300 baht (for two) which appears to be the standard charge from Krabi airport to Klong Dao (Saladan) (you can get better rates going back). Time taken was slightly less than two hours, including the two ferries and I'd recommend the taxi transfer rather than boat. Further south on Ko Lanta will cost a bit more. We arrived at Krabi airport at 16:16 and were in Klong Dao by 18:30 which included a stop at Tesco Lotus!

8. Re: Speedboat express transfer from Krabi - Too bumpy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2014, 06:19