We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Relax Bay Bungalows in walking distance to Long Beach?

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Are Relax Bay Bungalows in walking distance to Long Beach?

Hi

It's hard to tell on the map and people have said that Relax Bay bungalows are "not far" from Long Beaches restaurants and bars but is it actually within walking distance?

Many thanks.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,539 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are Relax Bay Bungalows in walking distance to Long Beach?

Do you mean Relax Bay Resort?

Relax Bay was my closest beach when I used to have an apartment on Lanta. And a lovely quiet little beach it is, here are some photos http://tinyurl.com/34z6xgm

My apartment was about the same distance from the 'village' area at the south end of Long Beach where the bars, shops, coffee shops, restaurants, doctor's etc are as Relax Bay Resort is but on the inland side of the road . It's about a mile maybe slightly less, I walked it a couple of times, did it lots of times by bicycle, but usually used my scooter. My friend who had the apartment next to mine used to walk from her apartment to her resort at the south end of Long Beach just for exercise. It's hot walking during the day but it is not so bad in the evening or at night. If you do walk it at night take a torch / flashlight, not so much so you can see but more to swing so that drivers can see you on the stretches where there are no buildings, it can be very dark and some of the locals are crazy drivers so keep an eye out as well..

BTW I looked for Relax Bay Bungalows on Google maps in case something called that rather than the Resort had opened since I left the island a couple of years ago, but couldn't find anything. I did notice that the only result that comes up for Relax Bay Resort is in the wrong place, it's two beaches too far south

This is where Relax Bay Resort is http://goo.gl/maps/rt2GP

Edited: 05 February 2014, 08:00
Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are Relax Bay Bungalows in walking distance to Long Beach?

Hi Doffcocker, thanks very much for your reply. A mile or so is not that far and a good walk which we will probably need after eating / drinking and relaxing a lot! Yes, we are talking about the same place, actually "Relax Bay Resort", not bungalows (my mistake). We are a couple and one 5 year old, is it possible to hire a car for a day or two to explore the island? This will be my first time back to Thailand after over 20 years... back then I had a thatched roof bungalow on Koh Samui beachfront for 40 Baht a night. How things have changed!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,539 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are Relax Bay Bungalows in walking distance to Long Beach?

My friends on Lanta tell me that there have been many changes even since I left. Some of my friends used to say that Lanta when I was there was like Samui had been 10 or 15 years before.

There used to be a couple of car hire places on Klong Dao when I was there, there are probably more now. best thing to do would be to ask the people at Relax Bay or pop into the Irish Embassy (bar) when you are up at Long Beach, they'll probably be able to point you at someone or somewhere where you can rent a car. (you should have an International Driving Permit to drive in Thailand)

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are Relax Bay Bungalows in walking distance to Long Beach?

Many thanks! :)

5. Re: Are Relax Bay Bungalows in walking distance to Long Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 06:20