We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Lanta in August?

Which Ko Lanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ko Lanta in August?

Hi,

I am returning with my family, 2 easy going girls, 15 and 10 to Thailand after 20 years. So not sure what to expect. Eg when we were in railee beach there was no 4 star development,

We have flights into phuket and staying there for a week with free accomodation . Then we have 3 weeks to travel. I'm looking at ko lanta next but am concerned the weather and sea will not be that great on the west side of Thailand in August. One daughter and I want to do a dive course as well at some point. I'm looking at koh Tao , hua hin, Chang mai then flights out of Bangkok.

Any suggestions , accomodation , travel etc greatly received . Thanks .

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko Lanta in August?

The sea conditions on Koh Lanta in August will be comparably better than on Phuket. The weather is the same. But Phuket West coasts usually have dangerous rip currents during this time and unfortunately many death casualties by drowning. On Koh Lanta you still have waves, but not rip currents. To do a dive course you best consider Koh Tao.

Seattle
Level Contributor
25 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko Lanta in August?

I agree with KhlongMuang. You would be best to do your dive course on Koh Tao. Master Divers is a great family and professional run dive shop that would be great for both you and your daughters. If you are intent on going to Lanta in August, since it is low season you could easily wait and see what the conditions are like on Lanta once you are in Phuket. If the conditions are great, you can pop over via mini van and many places will still have availability.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko Lanta in August?

Hi

August weather wise will be better in east coast ( koh Tao, koh phangan and koh Samui ). It is dry season in the east coast. You will be in the middle of rainy season in the west coast.

If diving is your top priority then head to koh Tao. Koh Tao is renown for diving and snorkeling sites.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ko Lanta in August?

Lanta will not be much fun at that time of year, due to the weather

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,523 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ko Lanta in August?

In August go to the East (Gulf) Coast. Koh Tao would be a good choice if you want diving.

Ko Lanta, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
511 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ko Lanta in August?

Just to clear up a couple of "inaccuracies" and some of the other answers:

• August is in the heart of the "rainy season" on the Andaman coast, however historically August is by no means the worst part of this months long period. "Rainy season" is commonly used as blanket term for a long period of time when it is more likely to have occasional rainstorms than not – this does not mean it is raining all the time. In my experience August in Ko Lanta is some of the most pleasant weather of the year.

• While you may have some days of rough seas in August my dive friends tell me it is some of the best diving year round as the crowds are gone and the fish are plentiful. Of course none of the Ko Lanta dive operators send their boats out when the weather is dangerous, so if you choose the dive here in August you may experience the occasional delay of a day or two.

• Learning to dive in Ko Tao is a popular option among many people as it is widely regarded as "the cheapest place to get certified for diving in the world." (Great if you're looking to save money, though I don't know if "learning to breathe underwater" is an area where I'd go with the lowest bidder.)

• The quality of dive sites and the variety of sea animals you will see in Ko Tao does not begin to compare to what is available in the Andaman Sea. As a dive expert once explained to me, "Ko Tao is in a gulf, while Ko Lanta is in a sea."

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ko Lanta in August?

How about Phi Phi in August for diving? Has anyone been during this time? Also has anyone stayed north at the Holiday Inn? It sounds like a couple of horribly long travel days to get there from the Midwest U.S. Worth it this time of year to try to dive?

Edited: 16 May 2014, 22:29
Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ko Lanta in August?

What diving concerns, Cowboyshoe has explained enough. Most dive sites Koh Lanta operators go to, are around Phi Phi Islands. And if paradise is close to your home, it won't be paradise anymore.

9. Re: Ko Lanta in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 05:15