We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Ngai - Thapwarin Resort

Which Ko Lanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ko Ngai - Thapwarin Resort

Ok my last question for the experts I promise!!!!

We are able to choose between the following:

3 nights (30,3,1 Dec) in a beachfront villa = 4900 baht per night

OR

2 nights (2,3 Jan) in a garden cottage = 2100 baht per night...

we are thinking doing 6 straight nights in Lanta followed by 2 nights in Ngai however I really wanted beachfront..... although the price of Garden is more appealing...

Does anyone know the layout of Thapwarin? Woud a garden cottage with fan only be worth still doing or do we need beachfront to really appreciate the resort and the island??

Hmmm this all sounds stupid but I cant make up my mind and hopefully someone can talk some sense into me?!!!?!

Emjay xxxx

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko Ngai - Thapwarin Resort

EmjayReet,

hello again.... You are calling for expert advice so I should keep my snout out of it... But you know that I can’t.. so here it goes...

It's funny because although I can picture it my minds eye... It's the first place we stopped at when the speedboat arrived from Lanta... Meaning that it's the northernmost resort... Not counting the new addition to Fantasy... which you may recall I rattled on about the other day...

Right next to the Thapwarin is the CoCo's.... and for some reason that I'm not quite sure about... we never went inside the Thapwarin... I think it was because we liked the CoCo's and the people there so much that apart from CoCo's and the dreadful unmentionable place where we were staying... we only eat at the fisherman’s cafe at the other (soutern) end of the beach....

I’m not saying that the Thapwarin isn’t any good.. or doesn’t look appealing.. Just that we didn't inspect it beyond the facade.

Now for your question... beachfront or not.... Look... you've come along way.. treat yourself...

It's really nice to see the sun rise over the ocean in the morning... Having said this.. I really don't think you need air-cond. ... It does get hot during the day.... I find that having the air-cond on... for a while when you go to bed and then switch it off for quietness during the night works well. But you would be fine without it... as for the bungalows further back... they are from memory not all that jammed together.

We stayed at a place called asia bungalows on ko phangan recently and what struck me there was how much space they had allowed between the huts... a huge block of land and only about 8 or 10 bungalows.. Usually it's the other way around... small narrow block and zillion huts....

If you had asked about CoCo's I'd say that you'd be fine further back... but at the Thapwaring.. I just don't recall how many huts or how close they are together... or how much view you get from the ones further back....

Two more things... I hope no one thinks I am on the pay roll at CoCo's.. I fear that it may sound that way... and I do hope that someone who stayed there recently sees this posting and explains it with better accuracy...

Do have a happy holiday:-)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko Ngai - Thapwarin Resort

Hi Mosegrisen!

Coco looks great but we have to stay a minimum 5 nights! Or pay 10% more... and then we can only get seaview or garden... thats why Thapwarin is more appealing... we can have beachfront but have to be there over New Years or we can do garden for two night after... just cant make up my mind... at the end of the day the money isnt the issue.... I just dont know!!! It is seriously doing my head in!!!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko Ngai - Thapwarin Resort

Look.. don't let it get to you... whatever you choose will be fantastic...

I do understand what you are doing.. take a break from it for a few days.... we go through the same and win some loose some.. we picked poorly last year with Koh Ngai resort.. but you make the most of it and enjoy the good stuff..... sometimes staying a cheap place along the way makes you appreciate the others more... But it's the expensive time of your... not a lot of bargains around.. Take a few days in the best you can find... and then a few in something more average.. You'll be fine

The beach on Koh Ngai is really sweet and you’ll be out snorkelling and stuff... so all the huts will be ok... Just don’t let them place you too close to some smelly noisy old generator....

4. Re: Ko Ngai - Thapwarin Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 19:20