We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full Moon Party--is it really worth it?

Which Ko Pha Ngan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
253 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Full Moon Party--is it really worth it?

We will be staying in Koh Samui next February during the period when the full moon party will take place and are trying to decide if it would be fun for us. We are in our late 20's and not into drugs or hoardes of sweaty drunk people. We think it sounds like it could be a good time but aren't sure its the right atmosphere for us. We'd gladly stay up all night drinking and partying on the beach, but not if it's a total mob scene. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full Moon Party--is it really worth it?

Hey there,

We are heading to the Full Moon Party in Feb too (33yo & 28yo).. we are not sure if it will be for us either but we figured that while in the area we should check it out. Luckily for us we are staying on Ko Phangan so if we hate it we can always just head back to our resort....

I think that you should give it a go if you are in the area... how many times will you be able to experience the famous FMP in Thailand?!

If you end up going let me know!

Reet xxx

www.travelblog.org/bloggers/reet

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
253 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Full Moon Party--is it really worth it?

Thanks for the info, Reet. We were thinking the same thing, it can't hurt to at least check it out. There's just the inconvenience of getting to Phangan and back. Nice that you won't have to deal with it. I can't imagine it should be too difficult, tho, the locals probably maximize the opportunity to make money off the FMP tourists. Have you been to Samui/Phangan before? We were told that Phangan wasn't the place we wanted to stay, but are having a difficult time finding reasonable accomodation on Samui. Where are you staying?

McK

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full Moon Party--is it really worth it?

We have stayed at Ko Pha-ngan before and loved it. We originally stayed at Milky Bay Resort which was between Haad Rin and Thong Sala.... however this time we have chosen to stay at Star Huts over at Thong Nai Pan Noi Beach on the opposite side of the Island to the FMP.... We will be there a week...

I loved KPN so much. Didnt do Samui... from what i have read it is very similar to Phuket which I wasnt a huge fan of... I prefer the less commercial areas...

You will be fine with getting transport over and back - there would be hundreds of boats heading over on the night...

Feel free to come over and visit us for a day, or even meet up with us for the full moon party... xx

Manchester
Level Contributor
224 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Full Moon Party--is it really worth it?

video.google.co.uk/videoplay…

Have a look at this video first, its not my video just one of the hundreds off google video. Just go to google video and type in full moon party ko phangan and it will bring up loads.

I've been to three full moon partys, they're not that great and defintely not a cocktail drinking beach party more like a mad beach rave everyone bonkers on buckets of samsung whiskey! but hey whilst i'm in Thailand i always think I might aswell go and join in the fun, i've met some interesting people to say the least! It's not really a mob scene but definately lots of drunken sweaty bodies!

Lou x

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Full Moon Party--is it really worth it?

Have to agree..Was there in June and had a ball..Real easy to get to KPN from Samui and If you dont like it you just jump on a speedboat..

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Full Moon Party--is it really worth it?

Mck

You HAVE to come with us now you have made a decision to be on Samui... get a boat over earlier in the day, come hang with us at our beach!

Reet xx

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Full Moon Party--is it really worth it?

Very well setup ..Heaps of food and stalls..You will see drunks towards the end of the night..Didnt have any problems at all..Was a fun night..

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Full Moon Party--is it really worth it?

Ps..Am returning for NYEs..2007/08..

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
253 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Full Moon Party--is it really worth it?

Reet~

We're in! Will def be over to hang out before the FMP! When do you arrive in Koh Phangan? Morning of the 22nd good for you? Looking forward to meeting you!

McK

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Full Moon Party--is it really worth it?

Mck,

We arrive on KPN on the morning of the 21st in preparation for the FMP! We are staying at Thong Nai Pan Noi Beach which is on the opposite side of the Island. I have heard there is a ferry that leaves Samui that stops at the Haad Rin and/or Thong Sala and then continues to drop off passengers at TNPN.. not sure how accurate that is.. otherwise I think you can get a taxi from Thong Sala over to TNPN for about 100 - 200 baht per person...

Do you have my private email address? I will private message it to you so we can be in contact and I will email you my Thai phone number once I have it.

Feel free to come over in the morning or whenever is good for you guys... can hang out at the beach and have a few pre-party beers! Get ourselves body painted up with the fluro paint. hehehe! You only live once!

Looking forward to meeting you

Reet xx