We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sunset cove vs panviman

Auckland, New...
6 posts
Save Topic
sunset cove vs panviman

Hi my partner and I (both late 20's) are going to Ko phangan in October and are tossing up between the panviman and sunset cove. We're not really into the party scene but want a good beach and some nearby resturants. We're both keen snorkllers. I know there is no coral reef/snorkelling on the NE coast by panviman; is the snorkelling on the NW coast good enough to sway our decision? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Manchester
Level Contributor
224 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sunset cove vs panviman

Hi, we've just returned from a 3 week trip (including, taking 30 people over for our wedding and our honeymoon there too). We've also done the travelling/backing thing many times in Thailand before.

I just wanted to say that the Panviman is in a beautiful setting with lovely swimming pools and comfy beds THATS IT!!

We booked in for 6 nights and only stayed 3, it is a souless place and known to many on Thong nai pan, the place where the rich stay for a few days get served by the waiters lie on the private beach take a few pics then say 'we've done Ko Phangan'.

Obviously this is only my opinion and many others will disagree, it all depends on what you would like to experience. Staying at the Panviman felt like I could've been in any other European 4 star hotel.

The private beach is hundreds of steps down a steep hill, so no waking up to the sound of the ocean, there is only one restaurant to have dinner, and to get on Thong nai Pan noi or yai you have to get a taxi. There is a small plank of wood across the water but its a five minute walk down the steep steps to see if its covered by the sea to then have another 5 min steep walk back up to go back to reception to ask them to get you a tai down to where the reception is.

Like I say it really depends on what you want, we wanted a beautiful hut right on the beach, to sit out on the balcony and listen and look at the ocean to taste authentic thai food, to have traditional thai massage and a beautiful seafood barbecue.

This you will find at Star hut or baan panburi, although only in one of their most expensive beach huts.(still half the price of panviman though)!

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sunset cove vs panviman

My partner and I (in our mid 20s) are staying at Sunset Cove in November. It's far enough away from the party scene but still close just in case.

Apparently there is a reef just off the shore... but not sure if the snorkelling is any good. We're hopping it is.

Sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sunset cove vs panviman

Haven't been to Panviman, but Sunset Cove is the opposite to what is described in the first reply. Friendly staff who become familiar with you straight away, right on the beach, where you can sit and listen to the ocean and watch the sunsets, plenty of decent restaurants around, and massage places, etc. I'm not a snorkeller, so I can't help you there.

Hope this helps.

4. Re: sunset cove vs panviman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 01:17