We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or Resort transport?

Christchurch
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi or Resort transport?

Does anyone have advice for me. We are a party of 4 adults and 3 kids (1 is a baby) and are heading to Salad Hut and then Baan Pamburi. From a cost perspective, is it best to take a taxi or should we use the resort transport. It just sounds like they charge per person so the cost seems quite expensive.

Also should we use only a metered taxi or does this only apply to Bangkok?

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi or Resort transport?

Hi, When we stayed in Salad Hut we were collected in their pickup truck from the ferry for free. We are 2 Ad, 2 Ch and we all had a rucksack. We fit fine in the back of the pick-up along with all the days supplies of drinks and food that had been collected in Thong Sala. I'm not sure if so many of you will fit, with luggage and probably a buggy? It's probably best to mail them and check. To be honest, all the transport on the island seems to be these trucks though. Hope this helps

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi or Resort transport?

I didnt see any taxi,s on Phangan when we were there,just Songtaews( a ute with bench seats in the back tray over each wheel arch,open at the sides and back with a steel canopy and bar work) The roads can get a bit bumpy and are quite hilly with some quite steep and sharp bends.

I dont think i would be happy in the back of a Songtaew with a 1 year old as there are no restraints and the back is fully open,it would be ok on the flat but the ride can also be very bumpy.

Most resorts have their own 8 or 12 seater vans ( people movers),this is why the price they quote is quite high for transport as they are expensive to buy.

Songtaews are a great cheap way of getting around but they do sometimes pack the people in,up to 10 with luggage!

The drivers will let you sit in the front cab and nurse your child on your lap,again not a great idea when you consider the state of some roads and the way people drive on Phangan.

I dont have any children and ride in Songtaews all the time,so do Thai,s and there children, but they also ride around with the whole family on one scooter with 2 kids in between mum and dad!

If you use child restraints at home in your car then you may not be happy traveling in a Songtaew.

If you have never seen one you may want to google it and decide for yourself.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi or Resort transport?

I didnt see any taxi,s on Phangan when we were there,just Songtaews( a ute with bench seats in the back tray over each wheel arch,open at the sides and back with a steel canopy and bar work) The roads can get a bit bumpy and are quite hilly with some quite steep and sharp bends.

I dont think i would be happy in the back of a Songtaew with a 1 year old as there are no restraints and the back is fully open,it would be ok on the flat but the ride can also be very bumpy.

Most resorts have their own 8 or 12 seater vans ( people movers),this is why the price they quote is quite high for transport as they are expensive to buy.

Songtaews are a great cheap way of getting around but they do sometimes pack the people in,up to 10 with luggage!

The drivers will let you sit in the front cab and nurse your child on your lap,again not a great idea when you consider the state of some roads and the way people drive on Phangan.

I dont have any children and ride in Songtaews all the time,so do Thai,s and there children, but they also ride around with the whole family on one scooter with 2 kids in between mum and dad!

If you use child restraints at home in your car then you may not be happy traveling in a Songtaew.

If you have never seen one you may want to google it and decide for yourself.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi or Resort transport?

Thanks Guys. Really useful stuff.

5. Re: Taxi or Resort transport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 14:37