We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full Moon - stay in Samui or Phangan?

Which Ko Pha Ngan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
N.Ireland
Level Contributor
346 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Full Moon - stay in Samui or Phangan?

Hi all,

We will be spending 10days on Koh Samui, taking in a full moon party on Wed 8th Feb 2012. My question is, do we stay the full 10 days on Samui (looking at Samui Tonggand) and travel back/forth for the party or stay 5 days on each island as i've read that many hotels will only take you in if you stay a minimum of 5 days? I've also read that if getting speedboats back and forth from the parties is a nightmare and dangerous with people 'fighting for boats'??? I'm thinking if thats the case then 5 days on eac would be best? If so, which area is nicest in Phangan for nice beaches and good fishing for husband, not too near the young/backpackers.

Ko Pha Ngan...
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full Moon - stay in Samui or Phangan?

I have never heard of people fighting for boats trying to get back to Samui. You buy a return ticket so I don't see how this would be a problwm.

You could stay s few nights on each island and experience both. Koh Phangan is a lot more than just the FMP and it will give you the opportunity to experinece the real Koh Phangan.

The further away from the party you are the less likely you need to book for 5 nights, and the further from the younger crowds. Thing Nai Pan is a beach I always recommend as it is beautiful and tends to be where the somewhat 'older' travellers go. Also have a look at some of the beaches in the NW of the island, they are also a bit quieter.

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
346 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Full Moon - stay in Samui or Phangan?

Many thanks for your reply. Here is where i read about the 'fighting for boats story'... tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g303907-r161…

I have decided to split the 10 days over 3nights Samui, 3 nights Ko Tao and 4 nights Phangan, which lets us experience all of the islands :). Does this seem ok or is there a particular island we should spend more time on?

Thanks for the recommendation on Nai Pan, i shall have a look at that today. Yes, we like hiring scooters/jeeps so we would prefer to stay a little away from the nightlife and can travel to it if we wish.

Thanks again :)

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,952 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full Moon - stay in Samui or Phangan?

Sounds like a great idea, that way you get to see them all and see how different they all are.

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
346 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Full Moon - stay in Samui or Phangan?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
487 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Full Moon - stay in Samui or Phangan?

Let me jump into that one too, Lisa :-)

You will anyway land and take off from Koh Samui (my favourite airport...). Then Phanang is quite close-by (depending where you go, about 15-30 minutes by speedboat) and Tao but further (60 - 75 minutes by speedboat).

I love the three islands. Choice depends on what you are looking for.

Life is mostly in Samui, around Chaweng and Bophut. Samui is the largest of the three and offers everything you might want. This is where I usually settle (we are 4).

If you are scuba diving, then Tao is a better option since where ever you are staying, you'll dive around Tao (from Samui, it is a long and expensive boat ride for instance). Tao however is quieter and more romantic.

I know less Phanang to be honest. The Full Moon party however is wild, very wild. Lots of alcohol and more. And do protect your drink there (girlfriend of a good friend of mine just came back and she passed out most probably because of something in her glass - they didn't drink much that night and no drugs). Now where to sleep. The best option is probably to avoid the back and forth that evening. So I would stay there, preferably a bit further from the party place (South East of the island).

Finally, I guess you will fly via Bangkok. Do select Bangkok air for the domestic flight (lounge even in economy) and choose the turbo prop aircraft rather then the A320. The arrival is magnificent as you fly over Koh Tao and Koh Phanang.

Hope this helps.

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
346 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Full Moon - stay in Samui or Phangan?

Thanks again SwissDiver :):) You're info is always great :):). We came back from honeymoon in January and wanted to go back again to Thailand in January, however, we have instead booked Croatia as we cldn't wait a full year, lol, so we are going there in August instead - Dubrovnik, Hvar and Korcula, so if you've any ideas on these i'd appreciate same :):). My idea was instead of saving again for thailand we can do Croatia in August and Switzerland in Decmeber, followed by Florida in June... it's all about the saving!!! Thanks :)

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
487 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Full Moon - stay in Samui or Phangan?

:-) Croatia is on the to visit list... But not yet been there... Sorry :-) Enjoy it!

8. Re: Full Moon - stay in Samui or Phangan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Ko Pha Ngan