We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Surat Thani airport to Donsak pier

Which Ko Pha Ngan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Surat Thani airport to Donsak pier

Myself and wife are travelling to Koh Pha Ngan next April.Our flight arrives Surat Thani airport at 0810. Can anyone advise if it is possible to make the 10.00 ferry departure from Don Sak and if i need a taxi what would the cost be.

donsakmake

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Travel from Surat Thani airport to Donsak pier

Thanks for your help! You both make the buses sound a lot better .... I might work up the courage now after my little "mini bus ordeal". Thanks a mil for your help!

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Travel from Surat Thani airport to Donsak pier

I've contacted both Lomprayah and Seatran, and the first has a bus but only goes to Surat Thani town; Seatran uses a variety of transport, and cannot guarantee we will not get a mini-bus. Pantip, the "original culprits" of the "speeding, verbal abuse from driver" incident ... Is the same story - could be a mini bus, could be a "normal" bus, depending on the amount of passengers. The island is slightly quieter this time of year, so there are less passengers, I'm pretty sure.

Anyway, an ideas on how to book safe travel (no mini-buses) from Don Sak to Surat Thani Airport?

A private taxi costs TBH 1700 according to Lomprayah ... So that's out!

How do you book a guaranteed bus?

Your help greatly appreciated please : )

Edited: 14 August 2013, 02:55
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,952 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Travel from Surat Thani airport to Donsak pier

I'm pretty sure Lomprayah use a bus to the airport as I've not seen them using a minibus - there are no guarantees in Thailand, sorry.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Travel from Surat Thani airport to Donsak pier

Yeah, when I called a couple of days ago, the lady at Lomprayah confirmed they use a bus, but only to Surat Thani town, not airport : (

Maybe that's an option? I wonder how far from town to airport and cost for taxi? Thanks for your feedback!

Edited: 14 August 2013, 04:03
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,952 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Travel from Surat Thani airport to Donsak pier

Whenever I've been at the pier they always had big buses with signs for Surat Thani and Surat Thani Airport. From town our taxi took around 30 minutes, but we paid from our hotel which cost more, so I would say in the region of 300-400 baht.

Edited: 14 August 2013, 04:22
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Travel from Surat Thani airport to Donsak pier

Hi, I know this thread is old now but as there are some recent replies, I want to throw my 2c worth in also as I've recently done this trip from Surat Thani airport to Don Sak pier for the Raja ferry (direct to Koh Phangnan). Let me tell you, there is NO WAY any airport bus could make that ferry. We did take about half an hour getting out of the airport from landing to getting luggage etc, the taxi drivers assured us we could still make the ferry and my sister agreed to pay 1800 baht for 6 of us and to seal the deal, the guy in charge of taxi's said they would only charge 1000 baht if we missed the ferry. Well we made the ferry with about 10 mins to spare! - the whole trip taking 50 minutes but we travelled at break neck speed!!! Fortunately there wasn't much traffic and the road was good, but I tell you honestly that the average speed was 140 klms and at one stage he hit 160 klms with all of us telling him to slow down and that we would pay the higher price whether he got us to the Ferry in time or not. During this ride, we did joke that there would be no way any bus could have made that distance even with an extra 30 minutes to spare, unless it had wings.

Anyway, if you don't value your life highly, then go the fast taxi and you will get the Raja ferry.. personally, after taking that option, I would never try it again and would rather get a later Ferry. Cheers.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,952 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Travel from Surat Thani airport to Donsak pier

That journey should take at least 1 1/2 hours, if anyone tells you less than that you know you are in for a scary ride!

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Travel from Surat Thani airport to Donsak pier

I agree wholeheartedly with both of you! We've just decided to fly out of Koh Samui direct to Bangkok avoiding that terrible trip between Don Sak Pier and Surat Thani Airport at a heavy, heavy $195 each one way!!!!!

It's just not worth the risk of a crazy driver of a mini bus or other risking both your or your family's life!!!

It's such a shame, Thailand government and tourism should really look into the whole industry's transport and safety issues!

So many people are complaining about general travel / road safety in the country!

Edited: 19 August 2013, 04:41
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,952 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Travel from Surat Thani airport to Donsak pier

I agree Mel, but I've heard India's driving and safety standards are even worse!

40. Re: Travel from Surat Thani airport to Donsak pier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2013, 13:06
Get answers to your questions about Ko Pha Ngan