We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK National shot dead in Haad Rin

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
379 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
UK National shot dead in Haad Rin

Just read about a UK national shot dead in Zoom Bar in Haad Rin, obviously don't want anyone to say anything they shouldn't but just like to know any thoughts from anyone who was at the FMP. And what's it like at the minute.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,081 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK National shot dead in Haad Rin

Hi

Terrible news, seems a caught up in something. 2 arrests and 1 gun confiscated.

What a terrible thing to happen. So sad.

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,598 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK National shot dead in Haad Rin

Terrible notice.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
379 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK National shot dead in Haad Rin

Talk about being in the 'wrong place'. seems as though he was caught in cross fire in or at the Zoom Bar and shot with a home made gun!!!

We are due to go early March and it certainly wont put us off, it does make you think that this thing can happen on what we have always believed to be the most peaceful island in Thailand

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
288 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK National shot dead in Haad Rin

I think that the reality is that things can happen at any place and at any time. Having gone to the half moon festival in early December, I'm surprised more people aren't killed/injured with all the drunk driving, buckets laced with drugs, etc.

Wouldn't stop me from going back to Thailand or anywhere in SE Asia (actually already in the planning stages)

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK National shot dead in Haad Rin

Its the locals carrying guns around who are quite keen to use them, rergardless of who's actually around at the time, that scares me the most.

london
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: UK National shot dead in Haad Rin

this is so very sad and not normal, i am going out the end of March and i am still happy to do so, but one thing that really worried me was when i was reading the Bangkok post yesterday online, i was very sad to see this young boys copy of his passport, although this has now been taken down this should never have been posted online, i have been to Thailand many times and i know you need to give a copy of your passport everywhere that you are staying but there should be rules and under no circumstances should this copy go to the local paper.

elaine

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: UK National shot dead in Haad Rin

i posted that on another thread yesterday elaine

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,302 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK National shot dead in Haad Rin

Little respect for the victims family, his death was global news before the family were told by the Thai authorities. Absolutely disgusting

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: UK National shot dead in Haad Rin

what do we deduce from that?

london
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: UK National shot dead in Haad Rin

andy53 sorry your comments confuse me, i looked for your post but could not find via your postings and then you post again, what do we deduce from that?

if this is attended for my post, then just to be simple, i am very concerned that copies of passports can be print on line for the world to see, this should never happen under any situation, never mind one as bad as this pure young boy. as a mother with children this age, i for one was so angry to see a full copy of this boys passport and was only making this comment.

elaine